Sturgis Bound...........Finally

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Otty, Jul 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I agree with tidbits all over this thread. Each side of the discussion has pros and cons, and each man (or woman) has their own tastes and what they feel is right to do. :)

And Horkn, a track day at redline is infinitely safer than anything on public roads. I 100% agree with that. I've never been to a track day though, because I don't have a bike :) I have a friend who races, though. Except he went through a tank slapper in his most recent run, all I saw were pictures I wasn't actually there, but it looked interesting. The bike was only scratched, but his suit got a little trashed, the helmet as well. And that was slightly off topic...except I can go on forever about why full gear is important :D

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

My bike was called the "widowmaker" by bike journalists when it came out. A couple motojournalists were spit off my bike at the unveiling in the UK, hence the name. Some were neutered witha de tuned ECU, but mine has the original full power ecu.

I was nearly spit off of my bike in a tank slapper at my first track day at Road America at the exit of "the kink" which is Turn 11. The corner worker even gave me a thumbs up after she saw me save it.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

true dat. I always wear a full faced lid, armored jacket, boots, and ride defensively... never did get into the armored pants though. :helmet:

I've gone on rides where I'm the only person that cares about his brains (only one wearing a lid) and to my amazement, people give me shkit about it. ::)

Anyway, enough from me on the economics :beer: I'll ride with anyone as long as they're safe.

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

You just gotta let people know that 40% of impacts in a wreck are on the chin/face area...that'll sober them up :lol:

And it should be a full-face helmet, right? - Ninja250Wiki

I'm kind of interested in those kevlar woven jeans...regular denim gets absolutely obliterated by pavement in the right slide. But if I bought riding pants it'd probably be actual riding pants, not "special jeans". And I'd probably take my pants without armor. I wouldn't know yet though...because my mom won't let me get a bike while I'm under her roof. *sigh* :D

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my mom wouldn't either ;)

when i was about 24 i decided to take a motorcycle training course, having never "driven" a bike before. my cousin took it with me.

they train you on these little 100-150cc bikes that i could literally pick up off the ground. but they're still pretty quick.

that class was so much fun at the time. really taught me a lot of things right from the get-go and gave me good experience before i ventured to the road for the first time.

i bought my first bike about 2 months later. a used/newish 750cc honda shadow cruiser. bought it from a guy down the street. it was excellent, easy to control bike for a first one. kept that for about 2 years and traded for my current victory 1638.7064cc 8)

(the used honda was $2600 - american bikes aren't in this market)

just felt like telling the story when I read your post :) if nothing else, take the course and see what you think. that's a relatively controlled environment for about $160 bucks.

7. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Good for mom! :p

I figure he's going to come home with one eventually, BUT NOT UNDER MY WATCH! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I wear a bucket too....in states that have a helmet law.. ;D I never ditch anyone that wears a helmet, that is the freedom we have. If I crash and die at least I will leave this earth doing some I love......:p

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

i went and looked at bikes today but didn't ride due to my shoulder, was looking at the victory 8 ball vegas

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

We don't require them down here in Texas... and I support the right not to wear one. It's getting hassled about wearing one that I think is irritating.

8)

:eek: that is one purdy ride. i love that bike. (almost as much as mine)

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I don't condemn people who don't wear helmets, i'll just always wear mine. "To each his own" sums up alot of things motorcycle.

I'm probably going to hop in on an MSF course as soon as I can, maybe next summer, because there is one offered by a local community college here. I still need to call them to find out when they are up and running, but I'll definitely go through that course before I really consider a bike. I'm still looking at an '09 Kawasaki 250R (hopefully they'll be cheaper by the time I'm shopping for one) or a Kawi EX500. Either one I'd have for quite a while, a couple of years at least, so hopefully I pick the right one. I have heard that if you outgrow the 250 where you want a "bit more" between your legs, you can slap on a Muzzy or other exhaust system and the bike transforms from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde :D

Here's a question I know all of you have thought about. New or used? ;)