stupid ice cube

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by stepho, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I usually feed 2 small portions a day. I feed a cube of mysids and a small amount of Cyclop-eeze. Every couple days I do OmegaOne flake to get Spirulina in there and Formula 2 for the Tangs and Coral Beauty. A few times a month I get live macroalgae for the Yellow Tang and the Coral Beauty and they LOVE that. My Yellow Eyed Kole tang doesn't eat macroalgae or seaweed I guess because he's a Ctenochaetus Tang. While I do feed a lot of frozen, my parameters are great. I do have a bit of an algae problem and I wonder if it's linked to the frozen.

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I really think that's way too much food. Try just feeding with pellets every other day, maybe also one small (1 inch by 1 inch) piece of seaweed if you want. Give the frozen stuff as a treat occasionally, or maybe a tiny bit on the between days if you really want to but the fish don't need. Definately don't feed them the whole cube, 1/2 is more than enough.

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

My guys would finish off a 1"x1" seaweed strip in a couple minutes and start picking at my red titan algae. They really don't like to eat it, but they will if there is not seaweed in the clips. I generally put two 2" by 3" folded long ways so it makes two layers of 2" x 1.5" in two separate locations. I change it out every 24 hours, but never once have they failed to eat it all, plus their food.

The seaweed strips are just temporary. I have chaeto in my fuge and when it gets big enough for me to start taking clippings from it, I will be trying them on that. I don't think I will have a problem with them eating it. I had several different macro algaes which they ate up, and will even munch on my red titan algae if they get hungry enough. They will also eat broccoli but I only tried them on that once to see if they would eat it.

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I too use Rod's Food! Awesome stuff, it's hand cut and rinsed in RO water. it feeds the whole tank, filter feeders and all. My tank goes crazy! My acro's tentacles that come out only at night comeout when the lights are on. I have seen a huge improvement in my corals. I used to use cubes, and they reccomended rinsing the food in a fine mesh net to rid of any phosphates, and I always wondered how much fine food was lost in the process. What's nice about the rods, is you can pinch a piece of and squeeze it between your fingers to release it. I turn off my skimmer and filter for 15 min, so my filter feeders can eat. I keep the powerheads on.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Well I am going to take your advice and cut back on the feedings. I am going to cut back to 1/2 a cube for now and see how easy it is to slice up, if it is easy enough I will cut back to 1/3 of a cube but I can't imagine being able to accurately cut a cube into thirds. My wrasse will not eat the pellets, but he does eat the frozen food.

I will look into the Rod's food. I hear a lot of good things about it.

7. Jafotom

Jafotom Plankton

I use a ketchup or mustard bottle that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. I add some tank water and then I drop in my frozen cube and let it thaw out. Then I squeeze out the food where I want it to go.

8. Click Here!

9. sparticus

sparticus Plankton

hmm so maybe iam giving to much to mine reading how much u guys feed, i feed 2x a day a whole cube,1x mysis shrimp 1x brine shrip plus garlic fish in tank are all under 3inch, 4 x blue damsels yellow tail, 1x brown tang, 1x lemon peel, 1x strawberry dottyback, 1x tassled file fish, 2x clowns.
    tang and lemon like dried or fresh seaweed 1x every other day not a lot hits the bottom of the tank though ?very little in fact