Stung by bubble coral

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Fish Fan, Jan 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

This weekend I was pulling some hair algae out of the tank and I accidently stuck 3 of my fingers into my bubble coral. I did not feel much at the time but when I woke up this morning I have welts on my fingers where they touched the coral. I was wondering is there a treatment for the stings or do I just ride it out and let my body heal.

Before any one says anything I know I should have had gloves on but it is easier to feel the algae and now I guess the sting of one of my corals.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I've had my bubble rub all over my forearm while doing stuff in my tank.

And then it's only later the skin shows signs. For me, it was mostly gone by the time I woke up the next morning and completely by the end of that day (er, the following day right).

EDIT: Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT again: That was confusing:

You are right, it's the next day you show signs (for me too). Then it was almost completely gone the following morning from the day it showed up on me. So 2 days later, I was fine.

It was a little itchy but I was able to "tune it out" pretty easily too... If it is severe, I'll be safe and recommend you see a doctor ;)

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Anti-inflammatory meds will help with swelling. Pay attention to your health, if you feel sick get to the hospital right away. Be extra careful around the corals because stings tend to get worse each time for how your body reacts to them.

5. Tmobo

Tmobo T-Rev

I heard Urine right after a sting will help.

6. jtr38230

jtr38230 Skunk Shrimp

Thats crazy scary. I hope things work out for you and you don't need to see a doc.

7. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

8. Click Here!

9. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Take Benadril. Make sure its getting better by a day or two. If not make a doctors appointment. IMO

10. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I've been told by many surfers that there are jelly fish that this is what you need to do if stung by them, but there is also one that there is one that will get worse if you do this and you need vinegar instead. I don't really know what it's all about, but I know people that have done it :freak3:
    I hope it gets better soon, I've been thinking I should start using gloves myself lately.

11. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

If its not better in 2-3 months and your fingers get all black and fall off I would maybe call a doctor then to get it checked out.

Really though....it should clear up in a day or two if not go to the dr.