Strontium & Molybdenum Dosing - Anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Matt Rogers, May 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Strontium, Molybdenum and Iodide - do you dose any of them?

1. I dose strontium

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I dose Molybdenum

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. I dose Iodide

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. I do not dose any of these

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So I am pretty sure where this will go... don't dose what you can't test, etc.. as with other threads here I've found.

Test kits for these elements and iodide too are very expensive and I relate with the logic above. However....

I am really curious if anyone here actually does dose these (and I'll include iodide).

If you do, how much are you dosing? What is the size of your tank? What effects have you seen from this?

Some history - Back in '93 I worked at an LFS that was pretty cutting edge Berlin method at the time. A knowledgeable co-worker with a marine biology background pushed these 3 elements for reef tanks. The tanks under his care really bloomed. I was a believer and followed his advice. However, today I've forgotten how much he said to dose. It was no more than a cap full every now and then.

Edit - History part 2 - I currently have alk, mag and cal under control with a doser, but I am not doing water changes as much as I would like so I worry about these other elements.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I do not dose any as a good WC regimen should supply all that is need from a good quality salt.

And I will get it out of the way, no test no dose. LOL

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for getting that out of the way. :)

(see part 2 of my edit)

If you do dose, I want to hear from you!

Just curious ...

matt

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My thoughts on the water change instead of testing and dosing....

When I see my alk and calcium require 9 - 10 mL a day to stay level in my nano - I wonder about the depletion rates of strontium, moylbdenum and iodide. If they are as high, would even a 30% water change a month cover the losses?

I am not trying to sell this dosing, but it has been on my mind lately.

matt

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I have never dosed these but always wonder if I should. I don't completely buy that water changes are enough since I have to dose the only things I do test for (magnesium and calcium). My 10% weekly water changes are not enough for these so why do I assume they are enough for the other elements.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Sorry, Matt. Basically, just repeated your post.

8. Click Here!

9. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

They are called trace elements for a reason. A little bit goes a long way. Magnesium, calcium, and alk are not trace elements. They get used up quickly. That is why they must be controlled.

I would not worry about the trace elements. Just do at least a monthly WC.

There are other reasons to change water besides nutrients. Fish release hormones that will stunt their growth and harm their health if they reach certain levels in the aquarium.

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I presently dose mine twice a week at 25 ml. I am presently dosing my 225. My skimmer goes crazy a little but all in all my fish and corals look good. I hope thats what you are looking for Matt unless you have another question.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks reefbruh - have you noticed a difference from dosing these / not dosing them with your corals?

You might be on to something there Will. I just wish I knew how fast they depleted. I guess the obvious answer is to get off the dime and buy those expensive kits.

Aye. I'm still wondering. :)

matt

12. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Even with minimal water changes, you may still be more likely to have too much of a lot of this stuff than too little. A lot of salts are super high in it to begin with, and some will come in as impurities in food and other additives. These impurities may very well provide more than needed, especially as there really isn't evidence any is needed. Also, some argue that increase in colors and such, if a result of trace elements, may be a toxicity effect. So, you don't know what is actually going on, if it's bad or good... Salts may have too much, but at least the amount is consistent, you take some out, put some in, so, the ratios remain close to ratios that historically work, as people have had good luck with the ratios found in most salts.