Stray current from return pump

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Siddique, Dec 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

I don't think anyone is out to get someone killed. This is an interesting topic, almost as interesting as a uv sterilizer debate. I think if it makes someone feel safe that's all that matters. Every single one of our tanks are different and everyone's experiences are different. This place has always been a place to go and get multiple and non judgmental advice.

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I believe that it's grounded for sure.
    Well I don't have a volt meter. I was hoping to get one borrowed but no luck yet.
    I'm sure it was the return pump but then again, I'm testing with my finger.

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I believe that it's grounded for sure.
    Well I don't have a volt meter. I was hoping to get one borrowed but no luck yet.
    I'm sure it was the return pump but then again, I'm testing with my finger.

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Completely agree!
    Link me to that uv sterilizer debate please, was thinking of adding one.

6. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

I would just use the search option. There is so many discussing it. I personally believe that if you want one get one as long as you feel safer thats all that counts. Of course the common debate is make sure you get a good size one. Most are not nearly enough for our purposes. Here is a link to the BRS video that I made my decision off of.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/emperor-aquatics-smart-uv-25-watt.html

7. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

stray volts gone?

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

It has since gone as I switched out the return pump for a new one. I however would like to reuse that pump for another system so I'm looking into resealing it.
    What baffles me though is that with the faulty pump in and a grounding probe in the water, I'm still feeling a slight zap.

10. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Sorry, I'm not an electrician but I was rereading Aquarium Corals by Eric H. Borneman and in there he talks about Nematocysts. I thought if you hadn't figured out what was going on that this could be a possibility. I'll quote a couple of sentences:

"Another remarkable feature of corals, though more common in anemones, is the firing of long-distance nematocysts. Some corals periodically discharge their nematocysts into the water like a battalion of long-distance missiles, allowing them to settle on and sting whatever they contact."
    (I skipped a few sentences inbetween these two)
    "More than once, I have put my bare arm into an aquarium and felt the unusual prickly sensation caused by the nettling of many waterborne nematocysts.. Fortunately, this type of behavior is not as common as other forms of aggression, and may be a response to stress."

When I read that I thought about you. Glad most of your problem is fixed.
    Scott

11. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

It seems plausible as I do have some type of Caribbean anemone in my tank. It came in along with some live rock.