Stray current from return pump

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Siddique, Dec 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

At LFS which is more like a supplier rather than a pet shop. He quarantines before he sells. I didn't quarantine further because i got the foxface along with two damsels which are the first fish in the DT.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Why wouldn't a ground probe be safe? It's used to eliminate stray current that can hurt your live stock. I've always used them and my tanks are all "safe"

4. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Grounding probes are not a safety device, the GFCI is. If you install a grounding probe and you have a short, it will go to ground and possibly burn up the motor or whatever is causing the short. If you have a ground probe installed and you touch something that has current, it will travel through your body and down your arms to the grounded water. Not good, especially if the GFCI doesn't work. The only safe way to use a grounding probe is to put it on a switch and turn it off when working in the tank.
    There may be a benefit to your stock, but it has never been proven.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Fox faces are nervous twitchy fish especially when kept singly.They are a schooling fish.Keeping them alone adds to their nervous behavior.Did you actually check for stray current with a voltmeter??Grounding probes and gfci's are for safety not to ground faulty equipment.If you find stray voltage it is necessary to find the source and get rid of it.

6. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

have you tested and verified stray voltage? Even though water conducts electric I have a probe in each tank as well as sump. outlest should be gfci, ALL of them, either by an outlet or gfci breaker. if you are having issues with the pump, open it and reseal it or replace it.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I agree that a fish twitching does NOT mean stray current.
    (It's usually called 'flashing' I thought)

Current in the tank must be tested with a multi-meter/voltmemter.
    The ground should go on the circuit ground- in the USA it's the third/round prong on the plug.
    Then you touch the positive to whatever- the water, the tank frame,
    the floor near the tank (I found a slowly leaking sump this way), etc.

This HAS to be done WITHOUT the grounding probe attached.
    If you have a probe working- it will always read 0- try it, I did.

Which brings me to Windy- who just might be an electrical engineer.
    I basically disagree with your statements about grounding probes.
    I too run one on my sump-whick also grounds the DT- I checked it with
    my multi meter. With and without the probe hooked up.

I made my grounding probe- I'm a DIY sort of Guy.

I took some smaller stainless steel hardware from my sailing stuff,
    attached a copper wire to it- that stays out of the water,
    and attached the end to a 3 prong plugs round/ground prong and plugged it in.
    If you're not sure you're doing it right- get out the multi-meter/volt meter.
    Even DT/systems that have NO stray current/leaking electronics
    will almost always show SOME current without a working probe.
    LIghts (not even touching the water), etc, put some current into the system.

Windy, are you aware, that about 4 or 5 years ago, a guy who was popular on another forum, was found be his wife with his arms in the sump- dead?
    You guessed it- NO grounding probe.

There was a whole thread on it.

I feel your advice it misgiven at least, and Dangerous at most.
    You may choose to NOT run a grounding probe.
    Some also choose to smoke cigarettes. Controversial?

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

+1, I own a swimming pool service company, ALL metal equipment that is touching equipment pad or within 10' of the pool/patio MUST be grounded by #8 solid copper. This includes ladders even though there is no electrical connected to it whatsoever, it could be a conductor from stray voltage from the water and when you grab it (if not grounded) you could become the ground...

Todd_Sails and DSC reef like this.
  10. Windy

A GFCI is a safety device. Show me anybody who claims a grounding probe is a safety device. If you didn't use a GFCI you would not even consider a ground probe.
    Picture yourself as an electrician working on a live power system. The first thing you want that electrician to do is wrap a grounding cuff on his arm in case he touches something live. He will be electrocuted. No instead electricians use gloves and insulating shoes in those situations. It doesn't mean that surrounding structures and panels aren't grounded.
    When you put your arm into a grounded pool of water, you have just put on the grounding cuff. Now all you have to do is touch a light or something else with a short and you will be the path to ground.
    TURN OFF the grounding probe when you are in the tank, if you must use one.

Finally, show me anywhere a person with electrical knowledge claims the grounding probe is a safety device. You can't even prove it helps your livestock. Maybe your approach will get somebody killed.

11. Windy

We should start putting grounding probes in our bathtubs and sinks. I wonder why our electrical codes don't require them if they add so much safety? Instead they require a GFCI safety device.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Even this morning, I put my hands into my tank.
    I never disconnect my grounding probe first.
    In fact, I've never even seen anyone suggest that a grounding probe be disconnected before working on your system.

You may want to re think this one.
    Some else please chime in here.

FWIW- I used a grounding probe Before I actually put GFCI's on my systems power supply.
    I have never been shocked yet by my water in tank.