Stray current from return pump

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Siddique, Dec 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I got a new fox face yesterday, he began picking on rocks and algae as soon as he went it the tank. After a couple hours, I couldn't find him. When he came out of hiding, I saw that he was constantly twitching his fins. That brought me to realize that I had some stray voltage in my tank. I figured out that it's my return pump.
    The pump can be run externally so I was wondering if I pump the pump outside of the sump if that would help with the stray current till I can get a new pump.
    A grounding probe will take too long to get here but already ordered it.

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I read you post then looked at your location. You have the extra dimension to the hobby of having to plan things out very well since it takes a long time to get equipment and other things. I can imagine that would get a bit frustrating from time to time. Im wondering if making a temporary probe might not be too difficult. Nice that you have the option of making the pump external!

4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I read you post then looked at your location. You have the extra dimension to the hobby of having to plan things out very well since it takes a long time to get equipment and other things. I can imagine that would get a bit frustrating from time to time. Im wondering if making a temporary probe might not be too difficult. Nice that you have the option of making the pump external!

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I'd be a nervous wreck out in your location with this hobby! I guess just keep two of everything incase something goes down?

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

This is a new acclimated fish, yes. I find it hard to believe that stray voltage is the issue. Given its a new addition, I would lean more toward checking your water parameters...could you please post them?

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Every tank I have has a ground probe in it. I'd rather keep the pump in the water if you can

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

It is quite frustrating having to wait on things to get here. Usually two weeks unless it's heavy stuff then I have to wait a month or two to save on shipping cost.
    I plumbed the pump externally but it's not a self priming (I think that's the term used) so that didn't work so I put it back how it was.
    I did try using a piece of wire coming from the tank and secured it into the ground of an electrical socket but that didn't help either. Not sure if the wire is conducting the electricity.
    I'm in the process of looking for some stainless steel wire to redo the makeshift probe.

It is a new fish. He seems to be eating well today. But still a tad twitchy and skittish.
    Water parameters are;
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5-10
    pH 8.2
    SG 1.023
    Temp 82 (working on that)
    Phosphate 0
    Alk 9.3
    Calcium 400

Good water movement and plenty of live rock.

10. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Don't use a grounding probe. If you install one now you may have a direct short from the motor. Grounding probes are not a safe way to go.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Water looks fine...Hmmmm....did you put it in a QT previous to putting in your DT? Was the fish purchased online or lfs?

12. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Im getting a new pump tomorrow.
    Seems like there are a lot of varying opinions about grounding probes.