Unresolved Strange Stringy Algae? (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Camkha1234, Jun 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Careful with advising raising mag. OP suggested there is a bit of structure at the base (calcerous). If this is so, the extra magnesium would just increase growth. Increasing mag is typically only recommended for dealing with Bryopsis.

Cam, I too have no idea. go figure. lol

2. Click Here!

3. Amethyst

Amethyst Astrea Snail

I don't know either, but it looks familiar. I think I may have seen it in tanks at my LFS. However, it also looks a bit like some of the moss varieties in my freshwater tank (which it probably isn't) so that may be why it seems familiar.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Cam, can you remove the rock and give a good toothbrush scrub in a bucket? It looks invasive. Maybe manual removing all of it is the best option at this point.

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It's interesting that you say that because I've been hearing that it looks like freshwater algae from other people as well.

The only problem I see with doing that is that there are corals growing on the actual rock. I feel I may still have to scrub it at this point. I'm just worried that it'll still be inside of the rock after I scrub it and then grow back right after.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

hi Cam! haven't seen you posting in a while. how is your tank doing? still have that algae?

7. Camkha1234

Yeah I've just been very busy with school lately. I've still been lurking around the site, though. And I do still have the algae in the tank. I'm going to go through today and pick as much as I can off of the rocks.

And I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

same to you Cam! are you a junior or senior this year?

10. Camkha1234

I'm a senior :)

11. oldfishkeeper

woo hoo!! I certainly hope you're enjoying this year! what are you considering following graduation? sorry if I've already asked you this a million times (OLD fishkeeper here :)).....