Strange spot on my clownfish

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by bus15sdriver, Jun 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bus15sdriver

bus15sdriver Astrea Snail

Yesterday I noticed this spot on one of my clownfish. Its bigger today.Yesterday it looked like a zit and today it looks like a wart. PH is 6.8, NO2 is .3mg/l, NH3 and NH4 are 0mg/l, carbonate hardness is 11, SG is 1.025 and tank temp is 77.1. He's been eating ok and seems to be feeling fine otherwise. Does anyone know what this is or what I should do? I'm in the middle of a 10% water change right now. In the pictures the one with the spot is the one to the back of the tank.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

hard to judge by the pics, what color is the spot? I know when my clowns began hosting corals/nems they would have black spots from getting initially stung but that was normal.

So it's like an actual raised growth on it's body?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. bus15sdriver

The spot is the same color as his body, orange. However at the corner of his mouth there is kind of a red streak. I just looked at him and it seems there is an indentation in the middle of the spot. I hope that helps some. :-/ I know the first picture is hard to make out. Thanks!

5. bus15sdriver

The spot is the same color as his body, orange. However at the corner of his mouth there is kind of a red streak. I just looked at him and it seems there is an indentation in the middle of the spot. I hope that helps some. :-/ I know the first picture is hard to make out. Thanks!

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Are you sure your pH is that low? The standard is somewhere around 8-8.2. This may be part of the problem, not sure though, it's hard to tell from the pics.

7. bus15sdriver

Ok, yesterday it was high but I did a water change and now its 8.0.

8. Click Here!

9. levi

levi Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

should ideally get it up to 8.2-8.3, my female perc had something simmilar to this right on her chin, is it like a raised red lump? if so just leave it, should go away on its own :)

10. levi

levi Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

by the way, my female got hers from the male biting her, hope this helps!

11. bus15sdriver

Wow! I hope that is all it is. I have two ocellaris clowns and a bumble bee chromis (behn's damselfish, Neoglyphidodon nigroris). The bigger clown and the bumble bee chromis were picking on the smaller clown relentlessly when it was hot out last week. I started to leave the lights out during the day, the lfs said that is the easiest way to control the temperature without a chiller. I don't have any corals. Since the temp in the tank has been down I don't notice as much bullying.
    Now as far the PH goes would adding Pro Buffer dKH by Kent Marine help? I usually add it when I do a water change but for what ever reason I didn't yesterday.