strange growth on frogspawn

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by billy31422, Nov 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

my branching frogspawn is doing much better than i thought. a week or so after i last posted about it i noticed one of the heads splitting into two. today i noticed something strange. their are small things growing from the bases on all of the heads. they are around an 8th of an inch in diameter and some of them are smaller. they have green little tips on them. they look like new heads starting to grow. but why would they be doing it this way instead of the heads just splitting like normal. any theories will be appreciated. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. billy31422

anybody at all. i guess nobody has heard of this before. i am trying to get a picture but is proving to be very hard

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

um, probably just growing new parts, any pics?

5. billy31422

i tried again to get a pic. no luck

6. Coastie

Coastie Plankton

Sounds like you have a branching one.A friend of mine lets them get to about 1/4 of an inch, then breaks them off, and replants them so to speak, if you let them go on their own, he has found that the majority will die off. Break one off, get a stem holder from the florist. They are usually a clear green color with a rubber cap. Poke a small hole in it, and push the small frag through, using the stem holder as a grow out anchor, once it gets big enough , mount it.
    http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1142/cat/500/ppuser/10438

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cool! I was just going to reply similarly, but I didn't know of a good way to mount the babies! What an excellent idea and great picture! Thanks!!!;D

8. Click Here!

9. billy31422

so let me get this right. i should be able to break the small ones off and stick them to something else. correct? the new ones are stuck to the pink part under the head. ya know the part thats still alive. it will not hurt the existing heads right?

10. billy31422

i guess its not uncommon to have both these small ones appearing at the base and have some grown heads splitting at the same time?