Stockman Standpipe

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Pisces23, Feb 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Thanks to all...
    Jordan: I'm thinking that I'm going to have to go with a Stockman, not a Durso because of the space limitations of my external overflow box. I don't think i'll have room for the elbow to come off the T. What sized plumbing is that?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

THAT'S IT! :) Thanks Jordan. I can't find the part so your post has saved me a heck of a lot of time!!!

4. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Hey np amcarrig, It is 2" because my bulkhead is 2". how wide is the overflow box? You might have enough room, I havent dealt with the stockman so I dont know exactly how to make it.

5. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Hey I dont know if you have been to this page yet but they have a step by step with pics and a stockman. http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ look at the top and its under build your own standpipe then the stockman.
    Good luck!
    -Jordan

1 person likes this.
  6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I did this on my 75 gallon tank.

[​IMG]

My initial design shown here got me in the ballpark.. then I began to realize that the intake elbow was too far down so I raised it up about an inch closer to the teeth of the overflow. Before I did that it would occasionally suck up water too fast and empty the overflow box and cause a loud sucking noise and gurgling until it settled down.

I also removed the cap at the top and put a little overflow hose on it and put a bio-ball there. This whole deal was to allow more air through and help prevent some of the gurgling. It is now very quiet most of the time.

If you have a deeper overflow box than mine, I think it would be easier to dial in.

Hope this helps,

matt

Attached Files:

7. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Nice, Matt. Unfortunately, I don't think that rig would fit in my overflow box. What I'm planning is something like the one on this page: R. Durso's 180g - Ken Stockman Standpipe

I've actually emailed Stockman himself trying to get a clear idea of what goes where and why...Some of the instructions for this mod involved taking a Dremel to the reducer and I couldn't figure out why (or how, since I don't own one), which was the main reason I was asking for pics and ideas here in 3reef.

I've managed to negotiate a Depot run into the grocery outing tomorrow so hopefully I'll be in business by tomorrow night...do they sell pvc pipe by the foot?

8. Click Here!

9. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

I used to work at home depot, in the electrical department but as far as i know i dont think they do. Its not too expensive and i know they will cut it in half so it will fit in your car.
    Well good luck to you!
    -Jordan

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Pisces23 I think I recall some here doing that design and saying it worked well. I swear I remember some DIY mods to it on the DIY board but I can't seem to find them. :p

Good luck all the same.

11. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Thanks, lads...I'll bring my pvc cutters in the truck when I go to the Depot and let you all know how it works out.

The girl just said "You sure that's quieter than what you have set up now?"
    :worried:

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Ahhhh! Tell her to pipe down!;D It will be as quiet as you want to make it...:laugh5: after that you may be cooking your own meals for the next couple of weeks so I hope you got pleanty of PBJ!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.