Stocking/Next add?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Sep 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I have kept Yellow,Sailfin,Purple, and Regal tangs(only one at a time of course) in my 55gal with no problem. I always buy them really small so that may have something to do with it. They all died from Power Outages though. My longest lasting one was the Purple, he lived for a few years before Katrina got him.

2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

the foxface's are venomous purly for a defensive reason, not a agressive fish at all, unless kept with other rabbit fish, it'll pwn other rabbit fish.

4. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I'm really leaning toward the Copperband Butterfly. It will depend on the LFS showing me that it's eating well. I know it could nip at corals, so I'll make sure I have plenty of pods and keep it well fed. My wife really likes them and it'll get to be a good size. Right now, on paper, it's a win/win.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would stay away from the Copperband they rarely fair well and will most likely nip corals.Rabbitfish do just fine together.I had two for 5 years and they got along just fine.With that being said I would never add another.They are very nervous fish and that nervous energy affects the whole tank.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not good advice IMO.

1 person likes this.
  7. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

If you are set on one, I'd make sure you get one that you see is eating prepared food and is healthy and happy before buying it.

8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yeah, I figured that, but I have been very successful with tangs in my tank even if it is only a 55.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

UMM, did I miss something? Doesn't sound very successful to me. Sorry:(

How many fish dies due to power outages????

11. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Well from the years 2002-2006(this is when my tank was in it's prime) we had Hurricanes all summer so every time we bought new livestock in between hurricanes it would die. No power for a week will kill anything, not just tangs. If I kept a tang for 2 1/2 years in a 55gal and was very healthy until a natural disaster killed it, I will call it successful, because I have no control over mother nature.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Alot of folk around me kept there tanks living for a week, or more, without power and we're not accustomed to losing power for extended periods of time like ya'll are down there, but we lost it for 3 days-2 weeks up here. We haven't had a power outage for more than 4-8 hours in a decade or so. But I would think with the money invested in a reef tank, that one would have some back up systems especially after losing multiple fish over numerous occasions. A cheap generator costs $120 and would've saved ya $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ of fish, inverts, corals etc. Just saying. And plus, most those tangs would be a Ich nightmare after about 2 years, and would've become a problem, and caused an Ich outbreak and killed the tank anyways. A YT, maybe, bristletooths yes, multiple tangs, doubtful, sailfin/hippo/purple etc, NO

IMO, sorry, but poor advice.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012