Stocking/Next add?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Sep 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I currently have, in a 75g DT(52x21x18) w/20long sump, 2 O. Clowns, a Yellow Watchman Goby, Tiger pistol shrimp, and a CUC from Reef Cleaners consisting of:
    40 Dwarf Ceriths
    12 Nassarius Vibex
    14 Florida Ceriths
    14 Assorted Hermits
    10 Nerite Large Snails
    10 Nerite small Snails

I would like to start planning my next addition. I'm not ready for any corals. I will eventually turn this into a reef tank, but I'm just not experienced enough yet and I don't have the right lighting either. So, I would like to hear some suggestions. I haven't seen any wrasses that I like yet. I do like the Bicolor Angel and the Flame Angel, but I know they should probably be added last. My wife likes the Copperband Butterfly, but I know they can nip at some corals. Thanx in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Look into flasher wrasse. There are a few that I would love to have :) You would want to get one of these next due to how shy they can be. Fairy wrasse would also work, but are a little more aggressive than flashers. You could do a herbivore like a Lawnmower Blenny once you get some good algae build up. Basslets (such as Royal Gramma) would be a good addition, not terribly aggressive, but very territorial. If you wanted clowns, I would do them last, with the angel just before.

4. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I already have 2 O. Clowns.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Whoops, missed that in your first post. Scratch that then! But for the records, they are recommended to add last due to how aggressive they can be. So then yes, add the angel last.

6. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I know. I just wanted to start with something hardy, and out of all the fish I had chose to start with, they are the ones that my wife and kids wanted. I figured if I could make them happy right off the bat, it would help me down the road with a more expensive fish/coral purchase. They are tank bred though, and should be a little less aggressive that most.

7. Jup4_Lita85

Jup4_Lita85 Astrea Snail

I really loved my Chalk Bass in my 75. He had a great personaltiy and my clown didn't boss him around.

8. Click Here!

9. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Maybe some blue reef chromis? They should actively swim around the tank, since it probably seems fairly empty right now. A wrasse be something active to watch too and some of them don't get aggressive and could be added early.

10. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I like the look of the chalk bass.

The chromis scare me a little. I've so many stories of them being bullies, especially when you have more than one.

I should've said originally but I'd like whatever I get to be bigger than 3 or 4 inches, eventually at least. Regardless, my wife gets to pick it out. I'm just looking for suggestions.

11. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Carpenters fairy wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri) or a Mccoskers fairy wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) are two of my fav reef safe wrasses. Also what about a Jawfish? There pretty cool if you have a deep enough sand bed, 5"-7". If you not worried about corals yet perhaps a Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus), I know guys that keep them in reeftanks but some can pick at corals.

12. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I'm going to look into some of the wrasses, but I was really wanting something that would end up bigger than 3 or 4 inches. I do like the Copperband though, but Everything I see says that their care level is difficult.