STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Nightstick, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think what sostoudt meant is you have to cut the healthy away from the dead portion, not the dead away from the healthy. If that makes sense. Basically a new frag.

2. Click Here!

3. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

That is so frustrating since necrosis starts from the top down, can anyone confirm weather or not I can just cut off the top tip that is dying. I has moved down about an 1/4" over the past 3days or so.

4. Nightstick

Does anyone else have advice, this is getting out of control. I have 3-4 coral frags suffering from necrosis. My tanks overall heath is good and my fish couldnt be happier. What is going on here, my params are good.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Sometimes there is just no answer. They live or they don't. Nobody is really sure what starts it.... but there is no cure for stopping it.

If you are about to loose the whole thing... then you cut off a frag from a healthy part and hopefully get to keep some. I didn't want to do that on the Purple Plasma that got it. It was growing awesome and then bam.

The only suggestion I got was move it out of flow. I thought flow was good... and it wasn't too much... but with flesh melting off it was worse. So I moved it out of flow and it got better. Still don't really know for sure why I got it.

moving is stressful and some did not adjust. I doubt as well it was too little flow.... but who knows.

6. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm in the same boat nightstick...sucks.

I've already lost a couple hundred to STN. Almost makes me bot wanna keep SPS. Just thinking of a beautiful few year old colony( if I had one in the future) melting away for no apparent reason would make me flip.

I've seen amphipods at night, feeding i think, on the dying tissue. Not sure if it helps or it's a hindrance.

I think I may try powermans suggestion for lower flow. Just tough to find a spot that'll have sufficient lighting for the coral in my tank. Also going to begin supplementing Amino's and eventually potassium once I get a test kit for it.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I had a colony that had that problem. I fragged it from about a 1/4" into the healthy part and then dipped in Iodine to heal.

8. Click Here!

9. Nightstick

You guys are the best sometime even when you do everything right you just get reminded you are not in control. I will try to move the colonies around a bit. Perhaps I can save a few of them?