STN on Duncan coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by SaltyClown, Feb 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

I've noticed my Duncan coral doesn't seem to be as full as it normally is. I've also noticed that the flesh seems to be receding in spots. I did buy the coral back in Sept of 2013 and it did have flesh "missing" from the base up a bit. Any ideas and how I can help it?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is normal, at least it was for my Duncan which I had for several years. I would keep an eye on it but it looks other wise healthy. If you're not feeding it you might try that and see if it peps up for you. Any frozen thawed fish works well. They do not need to be feed but they do grow quite a bit faster and a little healthier in my experience.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Hmmmm.. Any crabs in the tank? That looks more like it was torn off rather than recession.

5. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

My hermit crabs are aggressive. They always climb the corals to take food from them.

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Over time I've adopted a no crab no shrimp policy. The last bout i had with a crustacean was with my nemesis, the amphipod. :mean:

Never trust a crab to do a snails job.

7. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Yup, my wife and I are not replacing crabs as they die.