Still Researching, but have a few questions!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Zechenia, Jan 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Haha of course not! But I didnt expect any sort of response. Atleast not so quick!

I already have a refractometer :) I'm def going to order my CuC from him once my tank is cycled! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Zechenia

My rock shipped yesterday! ;D

Next week I plan on ordering 2 of the 550 Koralia Evolutions (or should I go 750?). Then I hope I can find some good Aragonite Sand locally (I dont wanna pay shipping!).

Sooooooo that and some RODI water from the grocery store, and I can start cycling my tank! :)

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yea!!!!!!!

5. Zechenia

Also, I am still REALLY debating a sump.

Are there any good overflow boxes (not drilling the tank) that are "fool proof"

I really dont want to worry about poweroutages/floods, or loss of siphon... but I def dont feel ready to drill my tank :/

6. R. PHD

R. PHD Plankton

I might be wrong, but I think you start your skimmer after the cycling has been competed...thus you may want to purchase/add your HOB fuge first and incorporate that into the full system to be cycled first...but you should have your skimmer ready to go once your cycling is complete.

Also you should remember to add livestock slowly as not to throw off the balance of the water...i.e ammonia spike due to jump in large amounts of bio waste that your benificial bacteria can't handle yet.

Are you planning a to have corals as well?

If you can fit the sump do it....regarding drilling:
    a) you can ask f your LFS does drilling...you can bring it in to them to do it or you can even have them come to you...depends on $
    b) OR you can purchase the bit to drill and get spare glass the same thickness of your tank...and practice with that first..(this is what I am plannning on my build, which will need 4 holes!)

Going with an overflow/drilled hole will give you piece of mind (compared to a siphon on the back)...but also ensure that your sump can handle excess water in case your return pump is off/power outtage.

7. Zechenia

I was thinking of adding the refugium and skimmer post cycle (moving live rock peices from tank to refugium), and gettng the skimmer first.

I am def going to add fish first. I am thinking it'll take me a lot of research inbetween fish to determine that I am getting exactly what I want and can have :)

Also, I am planning ot have corals at some point down the road, but not yet!

8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

Random question: My aquarium came with a penguin 150 powerfilter. Would it have any value to me (removing biowheel and using carbon or something inside it), or should I not plan on using it (as I originally was thinking).

Thanks!

10. Zechenia

My Rock should show up today or tomorrow. After I pick up another bag of sand (they only had 20 lbs in at the LFS, supposed to get more tomorrw) and some salt I will almost be ready to start my cycle!

Since I am ordering my powerheads online, and thus they obviously will take a little while to ship, I was wondering if I could start cycling my tank without them?

The three options I was considering:
    A) Delay adding water until Powerheads Arrive
    B) Add water, and start cycle with out water movement
    C) Use powerfilter (without filter or biowheel) and possibly the cheapo powerhead I got for mixing salt for a VERY small amount of water movement.

11. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

Aragonite Sand locally {petsmart} no shipping

12. Zechenia

I'm picking up more sand today (hopefully).

I am going to hold off on cycling until I get my powerheads. Mainly because I will need a heater. The one I purchased was a stealth pro, so assuming I can get my money back (and not just exchange it) I will be ordering a heater and my powerheads this evening!

I'm hoping my rock shows up today. It's taking a bit longer than I expected, but I figured with Valentine's day shipping would be slow.

Getting SUPER excited, haha!