Still Researching, but have a few questions!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Zechenia, Jan 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Wow, you're really doing this right!

Personally, I would go with the normal 30 gallon w/sump. I've only been back in this hobby since October, but I've read a LOT of threads on a couple of different boards about the 29 gallon Biocubes developing leaks after a short time.

As far as the black sand, I did that with my first tank years ago. After a month it was no longer black LOL. Just something to consider!

That's why you add a few blue LED moonlights! :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

seriously if you getting 30 gallon, the jbj 28 LED is the best thing. no messing with extra lights, flow, sumps etc. you can run a full reef with the stock system.

4. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

That is true. And definitely a consideration. I'm just liking the idea of kinda customizing my set up, and the ability to upgrade (without having to figure out what "fits" inside the cube). The lights are really my biggest concern. I'm not sure really what to look for. If I can find a good light setup that doesnt cost me an arm and a leg I might go the custom route.

Part of the goodness of not being in a rush is considering all the possibilities. I'm even debating looking into drilling a tank myself and having an under the stand sump.... really comes down to whether I can find a good intank overflow set up and a cheap tank for in the stand.

PS: There is still a good chance I go with the NanoCube. I just wanna explore all my options. I tend to be overly analytical about things!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For DIY style I really like the 20 gal and 40 gal breeders. They are easy to find at most petsmart, petco..... You can drill them, they offer more room for scaping, cheaper and I personally think breeder tanks have a nice look to them. There is a lot of options with them, you can customize them just how you like.

Lighting, looking at what type of look you want, ( coloration of the lighting ), and what you want to be able to maintain in the tank in the future is time consuming and can be a little frustrating.

Honestly I can say lighting has never been where I looked to save money and I am glad I did not. Yes it is expensive but I think it makes all the difference in appearence and success of the tank.

Shop around at sites like marinedepot, liveaquria and such.

:)

1 person likes this.
  6. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

understand what you are saying, but thats an aweful lot of work for a small tank. If you were getting a 65 or 90 gallon, I could understand.

7. Zechenia

Thanks, I will look into those tanks. What makes a tank a breader tank? Is it just a different dimension?

Not trying to skimp on my lights for sure. I just know there are some crazy set ups out there too! Looking for that happy medium :)

8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

True. Sadly, I am super limited in my space (unless I decide to put my tank in the basement. But then it wouldnt be seen nearly as much!) so 30 gallon or so is my max. Customizing my setup is part of the hobby that (atleast as I research) seems interesting to me! I'm def keeping your advice for the AOI setup on my mind, don't worry :)

And thanks everyone for the replies. It's really adding to my confidence as I move into the saltwater world!

10. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

wasn't my first choice, was getting a 90 gallon until the female of the species intervened. then saw the AIO with LED and it was a perfect fit, would never have been able to get LEDs, and everything included for 600 bucks with a stand.

11. Zechenia

haha been there. She wants me to get a corner tank... but that jacks up my price and, more importantly, limits my placement if we ever decide to move or move the tank.

12. Zechenia

I have narrowed it down to 2 different options. Looking for input on what is the better option, or what YOU would go with. I have priced them out to about the same :)

Option 1: JBJ LED NanoCube w/stand

Option 2: 30 gallon w/stand, CPR HOB Refugium (I think I priced for medium size. Maybe small), 24 Inch 4x24 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 2 Lunar LEDs

And once again, thanks everyone for your input! :)