Still Researching, but have a few questions!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Zechenia, Jan 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

I would skip the protein skimmer and just do water changes, i was gonna get a skimmer but not really worth it on a tank this small.

2. Click Here!

3. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi and welcome to one of the most fulfilling hobbies out there. I quickly scanned your thread and it seems your getting some very good consistent info, if I might add don't waste alot of money on Live rock/sand. Instead get yourself about 25lbs of base rock $2/lb and 25 lbs of argonite. Seed the sand bed with a cup from an established tank and buy 5 lbs of live rock to get you started, you will find someone on here living close to you I'm sure. This hobby can be expensive but it doesn't really have to if you keep reaching out in your community. If there is one thing I've learned is that reefers want to help out new people in the hobby and you can usually find good used equipment cheap. Stick with buying your RO/DI from the grocery and mix your own salt. Start with a reef crystals type salt so you don't have to switch in the future. Don't worry about types of fish right now just get your tank set up and cycling with your sand and rock. You will have about 5-6 weeks to research and save for your critters. To save time in your research just type in your question in the search box (upper right) and all the info will come to you faster giving you the time you need to sift throught it instead of waiting for replies. Good luck and get that tank already!!!!;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Cross your fingers for a big tax return and/or a raise!!! :)

5. Zechenia

Ok. I have another question. I have been looking at other kits outside the AIO option.

Because of where my tank is going to be placed, a corner aquarium would be best looking.

I found a 36 gallon (I believe) corner aquarium, which includes stand and t5 lights. However, with the dimensions 33" L x 17.75" W x 26" H (I assume Length is the measure of the "arc" of the quarter cylinder) I dont think I would be able to get a sump underneither it.

Soooooo Would I be better of getting this tank, and using a canister filter... or sticking with the AIO unit?

Edit: Also, I am starting Fish and Live Rock only. But I would like it to be able to support corals (ect) for when I decide to start down that route :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

The 36g corner will give you an 18" x 18" area under the tank. You could still do a HOB skimmer on the DT and a 10g sump/fuge. ;)

7. Zechenia

Am I reading the dimensions wrong? wouldnt that be the under tank dimensions if it was square, but the arc "cuts through" the middle of the square. If that makes sense?

Example (this is not the one I am looking at btw, I can't find a top down look at that one :-/ lol)
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

Those T5's are not going to be able to do what LED or MH can do, plus you don't get the shimmer that you get with either of those so thats something to consider.

10. Zechenia

ok. Another option to consider (getting tired of these yet? haha)

Normal 30 gallon Aquarium. With standard aquarium lighting (figure I can easily upgrade an non AIO aquarium's lighting when I decide to start with coral).
    CPR HOB refugium
    Coralife Protein Skimmers

I am looking for something that is easy to set up, but effective at keeping the aquarium clean.

11. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

you really want a sump, the all in ones basically have that, otherwise when water evaporates, its going to do it in the main tank and it looks really bad.

honestly, if you going to do 30 gallon. you'd probably be better off with an all in one. best bang for the buck.

12. Zechenia

I think I can be on top of top offs (plan on eventually getting an ATO unit.) I'd be most concerned about Salinity spikes as related to dehydration than looks, which would (I'd assume) occur regardless of where the evaporation occurs.

I guess the big reason I'd favor this sort of set up over an AIO unit would be the upgradability. But at the same time, if this approach wouldnt provide the needed filteration, or would end up being a big pain to maintain for some reason, then I def wouldnt wanna go this way :)

And sadly, I am space limited to about that 30 gallon mark.