Still Researching, but have a few questions!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Zechenia, Jan 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I didnt realized that about the RG and firefish combo! Thanks for the info.

If I held off on the RODI filter, I would be using the grocery store for their water. If I held off it would probably only be for a couple months. Def don't plan on using conditioned tapwater ;D

Edit: I've also decided that I will need to buy all the accessories/tools/base rock ect BEFORE my tank. Otherwise I'll be in a hurry to get its cycle started and just end up buying everything all at once. Sadly, idk if my wallet can support that :( haha

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Spoken like a true reefer. ;D

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Got it, what type of water does the grocery store carry, what is the cost? You'll need to remember that you will have to buy water for the water changes + the top off when it evaps.

This is def not a cheap hobby if you truly want to do it right from the start-up. I made the mistake of buying what could "get my by" in the beginning, then I ended up buying what "I really needed". Now I'm left with a lot of equipment that was a waste of $, as it's not quality stuff that really helped my tank.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'll just add about live rock... there is no "proper" ratio of live to dry. There really is no such thing as "seeding". Bacteria is all around us and in everything. Bacteria colonies will grow in a cycled tank in the live rock. Dry rock will become live all on it's own.

Yes you can get bad things in live rock, but the list of good is huge. worms, pods, sponges just to name a few. So getting some live rock means you can get some of those and some bad ones too. They will grow and populate depending on conditions.

So my point is you can start with all dry rock if your sole intention is to not get any bad hitchhickers. However, if you introduce any amount of live rock, then you still run the risk of introducing bad hitchhickers.

1 person likes this.
  6. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

just find a local fish store that sells salt water, easiest way especially for a small tank.

cleanup crew I would avoid hermits, they just kill the snails, with extra shells they might not, but not really worth the hassle.

get the cleanup crew from reefcleaners.org, i just ordered one for my jbj 28 LED. should be here tomorrow. john can recommend a good one if you email what tank you have.

1 person likes this.
  7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

If you can find one that sells pre-mixed and is a quality LFS, that might hold you over until you get the RO/DI unit. But again you're going to be spending $ and carting it back and forth. The other thing is it's hard for me to trust the LFS that their water is 0 TDS, I like knowing myself and making it myself to know for sure.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

I havent gotten to the point of scoping out their water yet (still got plenty of time for that!) But I am trying to avoid the "going cheap" route at all costs. Using store bought water was an initial cut to be sure I didnt go cheap anywhere else!

Also, since the tank will be started at as Fish Only with Live Rock tank, would it be ok to get the tank started without a protien skimmer? What are my best options for one in a nano cube?

1 person likes this.
  10. Zechenia

Ya, so far the only "good" LFS I have found in my area only really does freshwater. It's a mom and pop shop for sure, and can do special orders... but I don't think they'd premix saltwater for me... or that I could trust them!

11. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

A ro/di unit is a great investment. I personally don't have one, but I have my LFS deliver water. I'm still in school, so I haven't been able to save up for one. I do know that my LFS sells a decent brand for $189.00. If you have the money, I don't think you should hesitate. :)

As for the tank, IMO a Biocube HQI is the way to go. The 150W lamp is good enough to grow even SPS. It has a refugium already built into the back, and when you're not lighting the DT, the lamp can fold back and become the refugium light. The HQI comes with a skimmer, too. Not of the best quality.... but it works. If you were to purchase a better skimmer, i'd recommend the Tunze 9002-- Its a great nano skimmer. I could be considered biased though, as i've never had experience with the JBJs. And as for the powerheads, Koralia is a great brand for the price. Vortech is the top-of-the-line, but outrageously expensive. two powerheads in a nano would be great.

The only thing you dont really need in the tank during the cycle is base rock. I use water, sand, and liverock during the cycle. Baserock is optional- you dont have to purchase it before a cycle. Although I'd suggest doing it before adding fish. (Less stress)
    Have you decided on sand yet?

12. robl45

robl45 Flamingo Tongue

I don't know aout your places, but here, the saltwater is used by everyone, although its 60-70 cents a gallon, not economical with a huge system. but when its 18 bucks or so to fill up a 30 gallon and then a few bucks a week or something to do water changes, much more feasily than an ro/di unit and mixing the salt etc.