Still fresh and it's killing me

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by riggles17, Aug 16, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. riggles17

riggles17 Plankton

Hey everyone, my name is Rick. I'm a second year finance student at a university in Canada and have decided to cave and get back into keeping aquariums. At my highest point I had about 22 tanks, at my lowest I don't have a drop of water in a glass cage in my house lol. I currently have plans for a new freshwater tank which may be converted to a fish only salt tank depending on how well peerpressure from my friends work!

I am here to steal some reefkeeping techniques (Herbie Method) and try to employ them in the fresh world before I get salty! Thanks for having me and I appreciate any input anyone gives on my threads in the future.

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Why waste time..... go salt right for the get go!!! Snoop around ... ask questions and ready the newbie threads and you ll find that it is not hard at all....other than needing patience! Welcome!!!

4. dienerman

Why waste time..... go salt right for the get go!!! Snoop around ... ask questions and ready the newbie threads and you ll find that it is not hard at all....other than needing patience! Welcome!!!

5. riggles17

riggles17 Plankton

Thanks I appreciate that :D my only concern is the serious lack of time I have to devote to the tank. It's not something I'd be comfortable doing with such a steep learning curve and such little free time and money as a student. Once I graduate and have some more time, salt we shall go. Unless my friends are as good at persuading people as they think they are then there will be a new build thread on here sooner rather than later lol

6. dienerman

Good luck with whatever you choose. I am not anti fresh, i just prefer salt... just my thing. I think that i spend maybe 10 minutes a day with tank maintenance. More when it was first set up, then maybe an hour once every other week or so for water changes, cleaning, testing etc...

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Go salt. Start with a fish only with live rock tank and see how much you will love it.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

im a fan of live plants for freshwater systems. always wondered if a "planted display sump" would effectively filter the bioload in the DT

Zissou likes this.