Still considering...

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by marc1986, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Hello all!!!

Been looking around online and noticed that the users on this site are very knowlegable ;D

Decided to join, as I've been contemplating starting a reef aquarium...

got a few questions though, so if you could possibly help it would be greatly appreciated.

First and foremost, I've been keeping freshwater and brackish water tanks for about ten years now. I have always wanted to start a reef aquarium...but given my age...I never had the funds to do so...I'm only 21 and now I suppose I do have the ability to purchase the supplies now ;D!!! Anyway, the only concern I have with reef-keeping is the weight of it all...literally...

I live in a manufactured home and wanted to know if anyone here has ever owned a tank in one? How big of a tank can the floors support the massive weight etc...???

Please write back...I'll be looking forward to it!!!

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

As far as your question regarding load/sq. foot, it's going to vary. Age of the place, water damage in the area etc.. I've got a 55 in my place. I'd be nervous with a 100 gallon on my floor without going under the house and bracing the floor. Welcome to 3reef!

1 person likes this.
  4. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks!...I've been considering...that bigger would be better for a newbie...anywho...the home was built in 1997 and it seems pretty sturdy...I haven't had much luck about the structure online and the weight capacity, however I assume it will be okay.

You say you have a 55 gallon? Did you add any joists or anything under your home? Is it up against a wall (since the frame of the house seems to be stronger)?

How many pounds of LR do you have in it?

What year is your home if you don't mind me asking???

Thanks Again!!!

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

1977. I've got about 700 lbs. of system. Didn't add anything structurally. Not against the wall either. And a larger tank is better for beginners. Giving more room for error if it occurs. In a 97 you should be fine. Adding bracing to your floor joists shouldn't be that hard to do if you are still questioning whether it will hold.

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hmmm, i remember watching this show a while back that said something on one of Archimedes famous discoveries....it was along the lines of, if you have a certain volume of water, and add something to it, as long as the "level" stays where it was before (like take out however much it has risen) the weight stays the same no matter how much is added and what is added does not go past the water line.

i think thats correct, but correct me if im wrong.

the point of that was fill the tank with water and see what it does for a while, no matter if you add 100 pounds of live rock or 10 pounds(granted the water level stays the same) it will not change the weight of the setup.

7. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks a lot for your help missionsix66!

Awesome name btw :)

I am considering the RSM (red sea max as my first aquarium. I was also thinking of going 40 gallon...a DIY set up...however...I have been reading and it just seems so difficult...So many things online are contridicting to one another. Would you have any suggestions?

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>>> Hmmm interesting nanoreefer....

10. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

That sounds right...however...I just don't know if it would be nano reefer...I beleive that it would be the same concept as a box filled with feathers as opposed to a box filled with bricks...of course the bricks are going to weigh more....

correct me if I'm wrong... :)

Thanks for the input...definitely looking at things differently :)

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

All in one cubes are good, but most likely plan on getting a chiller at some point.. I started with a 12 gallon nano cube and ended up having it drilled and adding a sump with fans due too temp issues... If I ever do a nano cube again or a RSM I will definately be getting a chiller....

12. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Several people online have confirmed that indeed the weight of a 55 gallon aquarium is a good size for a manufactured home...not too heavy and not too small for a beginner.

I thank you all again for your help...

If you have any suggestions putting together a nice reef tank please feel free to let me know!!!

I'm looking for something size 30 gallon to 55 gallon...