Sterilizing sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by mdbostwick, Feb 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So when i do WCs I siphon the cyano off the sand bed and quite a bit of sand comes with. Since i know this sand has cyano on it I was wondering if there is something I can do to kill everything in the sand. I have seen some have used bleach/water solution and others have boiled but mostly i have found people advising to just get new sand. It just seems like a waste to pay for new sand if i can somehow clean the small amount of sand i am siphoning.

So i am just wondering what methods work, what doesn't work, drawbacks from methods, etc.

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can rinse it thoroughly in fw, and just let it stand and dry for a couple days. Sterilizing is just a waste of time, you're going to run into cyano again if the conditions are right regardless, you can not avoid it. Any frags, rocks....air all can carry the spores.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Just rinse the sand in more saltwater. I did this for months when I was combating my cyano issues. Sterilizing your sand is gonna just make you go backwards. I would siphon the patches of cyano and keep using the same bucket while siphoning water out of the tank and stirring it up with my hand and dump the water. I would repeat a few times and then put the sand back into the tank. After being persistent I have zero cyano on my sand bed. I did this for 6 months roughly so be patient and keep diligent on nutrient export. IMO, sterilizing your sand is a bad idea for what your trying to accomplish.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

For the small amount of sand to which you're referring, I don't believe sterilizing would be harmful, but as stated, most likely a waste of time. If you insist, a mild bleach/water mix will suffice. Rinse well and allow to dry prior to using. I highly recommend AGAINST boiling anything. Many algaes and other organisms release toxins and/or secondary metabolites when disturbed; these can be released into the atmosphere in the form of vapor when boiled, and may be harmful or even potentially fatal if inhaled.

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So thorough rinsing and let it dry out? I may just save up the sand, which i have been screening out the CC from, and dry it out when the warm weather comes back, if it comes back. Ohio weather sucks.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'll second the weather comment! I probably would just rinse and let dry as well and then add back in.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes, that will work.

So does MD weather... :(