step by step pics of ro/di install

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Robman, Apr 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

that is correct. yes it is wasteful. this hobby is far from "green"

2. Click Here!

3. andcbii

andcbii Plankton

ok, that makes sense. I'll have to check how much i get charged for water. I'm currently in the situation were i may soon take over a 150 gallon tank. Doing a 10% water change ever week and having to use 75 gallons of water (150 * .1 *5)+ how ever much top off will be seamed like A LOT of water, but it may not be that expensive. Thanks for the info.

What do most people store their RO water in? I've seen tanks for using RO water with a faucet but they seam expensive considering most hold a small amount of water.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Pressurized RO systems are mainly for drinking water and are not recommended for RO/DI for a reef system due to accumulated TDS in the pressure tank from what is called TDS creep.
    I store my topoff RO/DI in a Rubbermaid 23 gallon recycling can, many use a 32 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trashcan which can be placed on wheels and moved about easily. For larger water changes I keep five 5G drinking water jugs filled with RO/DI on hand and mix it in a Brute trashcan when needed.

5. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Any issues with that saddle valve being installed on plastic pipe? I was told not to use those on anything but copper. Any leaks?

Thanks.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I haven't heard from Robman in a while, hope all is well Rob!!

I have a similar saddle on mine. Mine is black plastic and the two sides touch.

I have had 0 issues with it.

7. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

A 75g water change on a 150g tank would be a 50% water change.
    A 10% water change would only be 15g ....

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I believe what he means is 75 total gallons as in 15 gallons of RO/DI treated water and 60 gallons of waste or brine at the normal 4:1 waste ratio.

I have run the numbers many times and it ends up costing less than 5 cents per gallon of treated water which includes the 4 gallons of waste, filter and resin replacements and even the sewer charges. So on average the 15 gallons of treated water would cost you about 75 cents a week.