Step By Step Pics of my DIY Fuge!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Robman, Jan 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Very cool.. I will keep this in mind when I get to building mine. This is why I can't get enough of 3REEF, always new ideas and creative people.

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Updated Pic

Here is an updated pic--notice how big the algae is now
    refugium 032.jpg

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

LOL yeah it will, mines overflowing! is gooooooooooood!

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great DIY job. My only Q is, what are you using to create a flow in the refugium? Luna

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yup, Silly-cone doesn't work very well with plastics. I used it to adhere a piece of acrylic to glass, but as just a divider within a glass tank. I wouldn't trust it fully to keep water from the outside world.

Great job dude. Excellent. Keep up the good work, man.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its starting to look a tad like mine now nasty red cyano and scuzzy water and green slime stuff on top like a nasty green mat :) I would keep that top surface cleared off . As for the flows I really would not want to move any water around other then what comes in and goes out like a little steady tide in a swamps or marsh creek.. I use a 20 high for our fuge and I dribble 20 GPH through it..Remember with your fuge the scuzzier the better :)

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I just have a small powerhead with a flow control next to my return pumps in the main sump. I know alot of you divert the return and T it off to the fuge, but that IMO is completely unfiltered IE lettuce and nori pieces-uneaten food etc straight into fuge. Too much for me. The returns bypass the filter socks so the pods will make it to the DT--BTW Nitrates hit 0 this weekend!!!--Started at 20 2 months ago.

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Very nice progress with the Nitrates.

Just a thought, pumping the water into the fuge will add a bit more maintenance in the long run as well as an additional tick on the elect meter, as opposed to placing a T in the tank return line....

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Well I thought of that when I designed it--When I empty my filter sock though, there is way more junk in there than I would want in my fuge. So far been totally maint free. Lots of bugs living in there--I just put a little Phyto in the fuge when I feed my feather duster.

12. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I understand, my filter sock starts overflowing in 5 to 6 days (I think it depends on how much the wife is feeding).... With out the filter, there are "floaties" in the DT water, not as bad with the filter... but, I'm told, that all of that is actually good for the fuge and the low water speed lets the floaties settle out....so the filter is not necessary...

...yet, I still run with a filter...