Starting up a used canister filter.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Binky, Dec 12, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Binky

Binky Plankton

Just bought a used canister filter Eheim 2028 and was wondering if I should run a cleaning solution of some kind through it before setting up on my tank. I was told that the filter was set up on a reef tank and I will be setting this up on a reef tank also. Thank you in advance for any responce.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

If it's dried out and exposed to air, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most I'd do is rinse the canister part out with hot water and wipe it down.

Chemicals are the severe solution in my book.
    One guy's opinion.

But welcome to the forum!

:)

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]

4. Binky

Binky Plankton

Sounds good. It is dry but I will set it out for a couple hours to make sure there are no stubborn spots that I cant see. Thanks for the feedback.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No prob, now that I think about it, you should probably replace any carbon bags if there are any and rinse any sponges too if you haven't thought of that already.

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

A tip I try to follow is that in most cases salt water kills fresh water bacteria and fresh kills saltwater bacteria. I would replace the media in the filter and run fresh water through it for about an hour, drain it and setup to run.

7. Binky

Binky Plankton

Thanks for all the info. Had to put all new media in it and rinsed the pads out.