Starting corals??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by James.jcb.baker, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

cheers!!

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Rave, what you mean by that in red? Do you mean "matching"? My salinity is right, but also runs high (1.027) whereas the LFS generally runs around 1.024. Would you acclimate that?

New guy, welcome to 3reef! You have lots of questions. Great. Place them in separate threads in appropriate sections (like start a thread about "lights" in the "lighting" section of the board).

Auto dosers are sweet. They can be pricey but it's not something you'll need for quite some time... No need to rush it.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I mean if you're within something like .001. Maybe 1.024 old tank to 1.025 new. I know the LFS I buy all my stuff at keeps their tanks at 1.025, and I keep mine at 1.025, so no acclimation would be necessary anyway. The vast majority of people keeping successful reefs are at 1.024 to 1.026 anyway, so nearly never would I end up acclimating. Even 1.025 to 1.027 shouldn't be a problem, though I'd err on the side of caution.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I usually keep my salinity at 1.026, so yeah, for a reef, at least 1.025 IMO

6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

So you have a hundred gallon tank, what are the dimensions? Now you need to look at about 600watts of light to keep just about any corals. There are many choices but whatever you do don't skimp on lighting. The depth of your tank will determine the best type either MH or T5 HO. The newest trend (though pricey) are LEDs. Do your reasearch on lighting get the best you can afford. I wish I would have been on 3reef before buying. I skimped and ended up wasting $190. Welcome to the best online forum in reef keeping.:cheesy: