Starting corals??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by James.jcb.baker, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. James.jcb.baker

James.jcb.baker Flamingo Tongue

hey i checked out drip acclimationand it makes sence and yeh im familiar with regular acclimation and inverts needing extra care with this. and no i dont have metal halide... this is another aspect i need to address... i have standard aquarium lighting at the moment?

And thanks blank raven, i do have an ATO... thought itd be a good idea for when i went away and it works great

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Inverts in general need special care because some are super sensitive to changes, like starfish, but with corals, I wouldn't worry about doing anything other than floating for temperature. Doubly so if they're shipped, since the ammonia that develops in the water will be deadly within a couple minutes of opening the bag.

4. James.jcb.baker

thanks i checked out drip acclimation and looks good! and yeh im familiar with regular acclimatiuon and the fact that invernt need more attention. thanks for the tip on lighting. im afraid i dont have halides... still the standard aquarium lighting :-( need to look into replacement?

and blackraven, thanks! :) i do have an ATO... set it up a while ago n works really well

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

no problem man!

6. James.jcb.baker

thanks again guys id appreciate any more input anyone has n ill read it in the morning, but its gone 1am here in england n i got work at 6am :-(, thanks again guys...l very much appreciated

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

when u say standard do you mean fluorescent lights? you don't need metal halides; it's just a choice of many for keeping corals. I'd probably get like 10,000K light. If you have like a biocube then it probably already has the right light. what exactly is an ATO?

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

again no problem man! see u in the morning!

10. James.jcb.baker

just quickly, yeh flourescent lights... just the ones that came with the tank, really need to research lighting. naa its not a bio cube, its a 400litre tank... think thats about 100 us gallons? an ATO is an Automatic Top Off system.... when the water level lowers due to evapouration a pump automatically tops up the tank from a resevoir

11. James.jcb.baker

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

o ok i gots a ATO too ;D yeah u might need to invest in at least a 10,000k light. Fluorescent just doesn't cut it unfortunately. and if this is your first coral reef then you're in luck! 100 gallons for a reef is really good because you have space for lots of corals and fish, and larger tanks are always more forgiving then smaller ones if u make some mistakes. i have a 29 gallon XD but it's still good here; fits my house and is just the mini ecosystem I want! might wanna do more research on light for corals. Metal halides are also pretty good but you might want to be careful when putting corals in a tank with halides, since corals may be more prone to bleaching, and the light is probably too strong for corals once introduced. U have to acclimate them while putting a kind of screen over them because again, the light is too strong. I'd still recommend 10,000k, but metal halides make a really cool wave looking thingy lol.