Starting corals??

Discussion in 'Coral' started by James.jcb.baker, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. James.jcb.baker

James.jcb.baker Flamingo Tongue

Hey guys, ive posted on here a few times before and have been keeping reef fish for over a year now but havnt kept corals yet, just fish with live rock.

where do i start, ive got a 400litre tank with about 30kg of live rock in the tank with 10 kgs of live fock in the sump.

im looking at dosing systems but dont really know where to start? what do i need to dose and what systems do u guys recommend? are there anycheaper options?

would really appreciate any comments please?

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

try some zoanthids, they're really pretty if u ask me

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

For dosing keep calcium at least 450 ppm. As long as you keep calcium, alkalinity, and mangesium levels in check, you should be fine. for magnesium I would think about 1350 ppm. But ask other guys; I'm not that experienced either.

5. James.jcb.baker

right , i looked at them they do look really cool, but what additives do i need to add to my tank?

6. James.jcb.baker

sorry i didnt see your second post! thanks for your repy i need to research this so much more... never like to admit it but im confused lol

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

if you only keep softies (nothing with a skeleton), that'd be things like leathers, zoas, etc. then keeping up with your water changes is all you need to do as far as 'dosing'. That's the cheapest route.

8. Click Here!

9. James.jcb.baker

oh really? thanks for the advise, ill have a look. itsso helpfull having lots of people replying! appreciate all the help u can give guys!

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

no problem man. and definitely do water changes at least every 2 weeks. Trust me; it may be a chore at first but if you want ur tank to survive then definitely do it; I learned the hard way...

11. James.jcb.baker

great, thanks, yeh i do a water change every 10 days now... i find it quite satisfying as i give the tank a bit of an overhaul n it gives me a reminder to empty the protein skimmer etc

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I think some beginners include zoanthids, finger leather corals, I believe also a kenya tree, a red mushroom I think, some polyps, trumpet coral, and there are a lot more. But whatever u do, please DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING A GONIOPORA. it's very pretty and I mean very pretty, but it's very VERY difficult to take care of. Just a heads up if u see one