starting corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Anthony Danta, Feb 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Unfortunately, a lot of people end up getting equipment and finding out they should have bought something different. A good thing to think about when buying equipment is planning for the future. If you think you will want to get a bigger tank at some point plan on getting a skimmer that may work for a bigger size tank but not too much for your tank now.

I just ran into this issue myself by building an LED fixture and after a LOT of reading made my purchase just to find out a month later, I should have bought different drivers. Ended up costing me about 70 to correct my mistake.

So basically if you think you want to get into coral, get lights that will support SPS because eventual you, just like everyone else, will want those in your tank.

Happy Reefing!

CBSurfrider and DSC reef like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

just a quick update since this post installed a hob reef octopus removed media from hob filter and have chemi-pure in it. I added around 15 more pounds of live rock and went with the current orbit usa led. I decided to start with this light and plan to add a kessil and run both lights when I start getting sps's I also added 2 rw-4 power heads I am hoping to be adding corals in the next week once I make sure my parameters are stable I will add some pictures when I get home....what an addicting hobby !

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

5. Anthony Danta

Couple updated pics parameters are all good except mag dosing through the next week and hopefully will be ready for corals

Attached Files:

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nicely done, all good additions. Tank looks beautiful.

7. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

Sharp looking tank ;-)

8. Click Here!

9. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

i have a current usa marine orbit LED as well and I like it....sometimes it doesnt shut off though with the required programming...i have mine set to the M1 default timer which gives 4 hours of moonlight after shutting off the lights at 6 pm...so the dark blue is supposed to stay on till 10 - however ive come down at midnight and the lights were still on...so just be wary of any built in timers...i now manually shut them off before I go to bed...but other than that its a great light...the thunderstorm and cloud functions are mostly novelties but theyre fun to play with...

I should add in addition to that light I have 7 LED reefbars as well, so you are right in suggesting it not be your primary light...

other than that my setup is actually pretty similar to yours with a HOB skimmer, Eheim canister, powerheads, thermometer and heater. i have noticed really the only things that need close attention are salinity and alk...all else, provided you are doing water changes and changing out any filter floss in your filters, more or less doesnt matter...thats just my experience though...

btw I am growing xenia, zoa, torch, hammer, leather, bubble tip anemone, carpet anemone, coco worm, feather duster, long and short tentacle plates, candy cane, and a maxima clam under those lights so you should be good to go with any softies or LPS...but I havent tried SPS

10. Anthony Danta

quick question got my first few corals 1 is a smaller frag that's on this little plastic? looking stand do i leave it on this seems to be glued down....

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it's probably a frag plug. I would just place the coral with the plug on it. There are different things you can do depending upon what type of plug it is and the type of coral.

I think your tank looks great - I usually don't comment on scape but if I were you, I might take a few pieces of live rock out. The unique shapes of the rocks really draws my attention to that and you're going to want the coral to stand out a little more. just a thought.

12. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I actually really like the scape. It seems like it gives you many levels to put coral on which will be good for when you get into sps and need them a place closer to the top for more par. The only drawback is they wouldn't have too much space to grow upward. Just a good reason to upgrade in a few years ;)