starting corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Anthony Danta, Feb 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm a halide guy so I'm not the best for led info but I just never saw that coloration before. I like the rockwork. As long as it's stable it really comes to personal preference. I just rescaped my 125 that's been up over a year. I prefer rock though, nothing fake. Trust me, you'll change it many more times my friend.

mdbostwick likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

ya I had a idea how I wanted it to look but couldn't get it....I started with fish only thinking I wouldn't do corals but now that I want them im trying to get the rock how I like but I feel horrible disrupting the fish thanks for your input im sure il keep learning as I go

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think your scape looks fine. It has little tunnels and looks like plenty of space to place corals.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I actually really like your scape! Just make sure it is stable. Fish, crabs and snails can and will knock them down if they aren't stable. Zip ties are your friend.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Red wavelengths tend to grow nuisance algaes.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

What Boombatz said.. I see a few people that run a red spectrum in their sump to promote algae growth (chaeto). Mushrooms are pretty easy to grow/keep. I had them all over the place in my FOWLR with crappy lighting. As far as soft corals go and what you want in your tank, it comes down to how much time are you willing to put into it? I had a 75 mixed reef and found I was spending way too much time worrying about water chemistry, flow, spot feeding and so on. Some people like dosing calc and whatever the other stuff that comes along with certain corals, me not so much. ZOA's are a good start and go from there. Just watch out for the words like Xenia & GSP!! You'll thank me later.

8. Click Here!

9. Anthony Danta

thanks for the responses im still undecided on the scape I think a u shape would show off the corals better in the long run but seems as tho I purchased too many small sized rocks tried for a hour to get a u-shape going and just went back to the original scape before losing my mind haha....I planned on starting with mushrooms and zoas everything I have read leads me towards them being the easiest to care for and I want to get my feet "wet" and learn how to properly take care of them

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Look for some LR you can put frag plugs in. I'm starting the same journey. Well I'm going back to corals and starting with ZOA's and taking it from there. Are you new to reefing altogether? A cheap way to get into corals is find a local forum where people frag and trade their corals, this will lessen the cost of getting into it. Then you also have a place to frag and trade your stuff when it grows out.

11. Anthony Danta

new to the hobby all together wish I would of researched more I started fish only thinking I wouldn't want coral but every time I go to my LFS i'm drawn to the section so here I am 2.5 months in and i'm already needing to upgrade lights and filters but its a awesome hobby and so rewarding seeing it all come together

12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Same way I started back in the day. I was given a 55gal with a canister filter. Just make sure your fish additions are all reef safe for when you do get to the point of adding corals you don't have to get rid of any fish.

DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.