starting corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Anthony Danta, Feb 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

so i'm a newby to this have a 46 gallon bow front tank emperor 400 bio wheel filter had the tank up and running for around 2 months i currently have 40 pounds of live rock 2 ocs. clowns 1 royal gramma 1 swallow tail angel and 1 starry blenny just recently added the angel and blenny the other fish have made it through the cycle i wasn't planning on corals but i cant stay away....the lighting i have is a edge led so i'm gonna stay with soft corals i've done some research but is it to early to add them and is my filter set up ok? any help would be appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

What I would consider doing is adding a hang on the back skimmer, and possibly some modifications to the HOB (hang on the back) filter. Such as

https://aquariumspace.com/threads/emperor-400-modification.2240/

You'll need to closely monitor your tank's water chemistry as the tank is still the in new tank syndrome danger period. Stick with soft corals and you should be good, I would however not add anymore fish for awhile.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    DSC reef likes this.
  4. Anthony Danta

i planned on keeping just these fish for now i would like to get a 6 line wrasse in the future was only going to get the angel but was having algea problems and the guy at the fish store suggested the blenny thinking he might help out i was thinking of adding a second hob filter to help would this be ok? thanks for the help i appreciate it!

Corailline likes this.
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's pretty common to have algae issues on a two month old tank, I am just hitting the two month mark and I had algae issues. For my algae issues I use a skimmer and snails, specifically Certh and Turbo snals. As long as you're using RO water with nitrates and phosphates under control the algae will begin to abate next month. You do not want to really stock for algae issues as your first defense, once the algae clears what are those algae dependent inhabitants going to dine on.
    Sure you could add another HOB, but you'll probably end up with a skimmer in the long run anyway. Look around on Craigslist or local reefing clubs for deals on skimmers. Window shop on MarineDepot.com for a skimmer that might work for you, your tank and your budget.

chris adams and DSC reef like this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef. I would add a HOB skimmer versus another filter. The skimmer will do way more in removing waste from the tank. As the tank matures and you keep a close eye on your chemistry the algae should subside. I would be weary of fish stores selling you fish for problems as well. Give it time and your tank will be looking good. We like pics of tanks so start snapping.

chris adams likes this.
  7. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

got ya covered DSC

:pics2:

Billme and DSC reef like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Anthony Danta

Does this layout look ok for coral placement struggled with it this was the best I could come up with Its frustrating to be honest not really sure what to do but I dont wanna keep disrupting the fish

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    mdbostwick likes this.
  10. Anthony Danta

Few more pics you can see the gramma in one of them finally starting to come out

Attached Files:

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Is that a freshwater led? I've never seen so much red before. Looks cool though

12. Anthony Danta

Its a led I was told that it will be sufficient for soft coral like mushrooms and such or did they feed me a line of bs? how bout my rock configuration I know its personal preference but anything you see that could be a issue down the road?