Starting a 10 gallon - Ideas

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by JupiterSailfish, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Hey bud, I'm running mine with the poly bio-fiber instead of that crappy carbon cartridge and it's doing great! I also figured out why it kept losing prime and fixed that little problem, I had some snails that moved into it.

2. Click Here!

3. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Man that is SWEET! Great idea! I guess what I have been calling a HOB filter really is a Power Filter. Would it be a good idea to run one of these along with that DIY Fuge? I'm setting this one up slowly and waiting for good opportunities to present themselves for equipment.

Thanks for all the help.

4. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

If you want to just run the fuge you can use what is called chemi-pure elite.Chemi Pure ELITE - FinsDepot.com It works great ! Keeps water crystal clear. I was worried that it would take away too much of the nutrients out of the water before getting to the fuge , but my cheato growth has been pretty explosive. I Just put the bag next to the intake tube and it flows right through it before passing into fuge. In a 10 gallon the rio-nano skimmer might work better for you. I was running it on my 3 gallon pico tank. I could only keep it to skim at full blast which gave me way to many micro bubbles. If I turned it down it would lose prime. So I modded it to have a air line tube with a two-way valve on it to regulate the air flow to the venturi tube which worked fine for awhile, but would just not skim enough after a week or so. And when it did skim it was just too wet. The micro bubbles could be kept down with a mini bag of carbon in the last chamber for awhile as well. After so long it just became a pita. So I finally am just gonna run the fuge. With water changes every week I really don't need a skimmer. Good luck !! Keep us posted. And some pictures would be nice of your progress. ;) Don't make me sick Luna on you.::) You know he has a badge now and everything.:hehe:

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I had a ten gallon for about 9 months and then decided to take it down and move to a bigger tank.
    I was running it with a HOB filter, it was one I bought from foster & Smith, it was a surface skimming filter,
    for lighting I used a Dual Satellite PC I think it was 80 watts. Never used a skimmer because I did
    a 1 gallon water change every week.

Here is picture of it shortly after I set it up, and here is one from a few days before I took it down,
    kind of wish I had never taken it down.....:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

You know it's funny people mock a small tank from time to time, Having owned one and running a nano system is so rewarding and addicting.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oh yeah, I dig my little 10g. No corals in it. Just a few fish. I just have a HOB filter and an airstone in mine. I do need to change out the lighting. 14W just isn't enough.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

yeah, I really miss mine, thinking about setting it up at work if I can talk my Boss into it...Best part was it was so simple to take care of, 1 gallon water change every week, feed every other day and replace filter pads every other week and that was it. I actully had 3 small fish in mine, the yellow clown goby you see at the right top a really tiny GSM Clown and another goby that escapes me right now. Along with assorted Hermits, snails and a emerald crab.

10. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Progress on tank, none;D Been concentrating on school and my current tank lately so haven't even really thought about this one.

If I make the refug. out of the HOB filter, this would allow me to not have to make a refug. out of another tank right?

Here is how I'm thinking about setting it up.

So here is the tank sitting on the stand, I then put on the Nano Skimmer and the HOB refug. Haven't decided on lighting, but I found this on Craigslist that I have been considering.

10 GALLON SALTWATER REEF AQUARIUM

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i ran pc's on my 10 gallon for about a week untill i upgraded b/c i knew i was not going to be happy with the selection later on. if i where you i would go to www.hellolights.com that should save you some money, look into the T5's they are gret lights to have. i run a HOB filter, no skimmer, water change 1 gallon a week and everything is doing pretty good :)

12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

n/m www.fishneedit.com is the one i was thinking of, sorry. you should be able to find incredibly cheap fixtures there :)