Starting a 10 gallon - Ideas

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by JupiterSailfish, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

I'll start out with I know this will be a tough task cause the smaller the harder aquarium, but I'm just getting stuff and ideas together.

So I got a 10 gallon tank for free from the Petstore for spending $50 on corals and it is just sitting around. The dude said I could make a breeder tank out of it, but that is boring. I was thinking of making a small reef with like a fish. I've seen several smaller aquariums in stores with a hang on back filter that look pretty good. I was thinking of doing the same.

I was also thinking about drilling or getting holes drilled in the 10 gal. and putting a 5 gal. refugium underneath it.

These are all ideas, let me know what you think. I have been keeping my eye on a 30 gallon with stand for $40 on Craigslist.

2. Click Here!

3. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

you could make it into a quarantine tank, that would be a pretty good investment....not as fun I know, but it will probably be worth it in the long run

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

if you don't have a refugium, you could make the 10 a refugium for your main tank. If you want to do the mini reef tank, i've seen them as small as 3 gallon. You already seem to know that you have to be more careful with the smaller tank. I think a small reef would be cool

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I'd buy the 30g off of CR and use at as the fuge for that.

1 person likes this.
  6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I second that. You could make the 10 a sump/fuge combo, or just a fuge. It wouldn't limit you so much, and in the end, I think a 30 would look great. I have a 38 and a 20, so I really like that size tank.

7. JupiterSailfish

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was thinking of making the 10 gal an aquarium to keep the cost down a little, after adding LS, LR, etc...

8. Click Here!

9. JupiterSailfish

Could I use a hang on back filter? It would be a lot easier than making the refugium, but I kind of rather put a refugium underneath it.

10. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Instead of a HOB filter, for a ten gallon, get a TAAM Rio Nano Protein Skimmer and call it a day. You can run carbon in it if you need to, it comes with a carbon filter.

Gin

11. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

I like the quarintine Idea or the sump/fuge one as well. If you absolutly want to make a nano reef I can help you out. I Have been running the rio nano for 10 months and it just does not do the job for me. If you are going to make a nano reef you can make a fuge like me with an ac 70. Just do wc's every 7 to 10 days and you will be fine. And since it's only a 10 gallon you only have to do like 2 gallon changes. :) Here is a link to the fuge. Now as far as keeping down your costs. Wel....... ::)

Ac 70 fuge mod

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=601201

And a light

16.5" 70w Sunpod - Nano-Reef.com Forums

1 person likes this.
  12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

if i where to do my system over again i would run T5's, less heat and you really cant go wrong with them in a 10 gallon. gives you the same variety of things you can keep with a bit less of an exspense.