Starter Tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by iFish, May 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iFish

iFish Plankton

what would be a good fish tank to get as my first i need something cheap

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

what do you want to keep?

coldwater?, tropical freshwater?, saltwater?, reef?

Steve

4. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

Much needed answers. For freshwater. Go 10 gallon kit for 50 bucks. For saltwater FOWLR tank 20 high and for reef go with a 9 gallon aquapod nanocube etc. Thats just in my opinion, Some good starter tanks. Pat

1 person likes this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well....Saltwater is not cheap. Not at any level. Even a 10g nano can cost a few hundred to set up correctly. I probably have, off the top of my head, maybe $3500 into my 90g so far. Started off with a $400 Craig's List buy and then started replacing stuff out in the course of one year. The only things I have left from the original set up are the overflows, the stand and the sand. That's it. Even the tank itself has been replaced. So you get the idea......

2 people like this.
  6. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

PharmrJohn is right. I am at $1500 in my 24 gallon aquapod. If I had it to do over, I would shop craigslist for a used setup and go from there. Figure $50 per gallon to fully establish a reef tank. Of course that is widely variable, but it gives you an idea of where to start. Anyone out there with more experience, please correct me if that seems outlandish.

7. Sea Dragon

Sea Dragon Astrea Snail

I've been very happy with my 14g Oceanic biocube. It comes with a filtering system, pump, lights, etc. You will need to get a heater, thermometer and the basic substrate, rock, etc. to start out. I bought my biocubes for under $200. The biocubes are also self contained so other than some power cords, nothing is coming out of the tank. they are pretty sleek and clean looking. I will admit once you get into the hobby you may want bigger and better equipment. But IMO the biocube is a great way to get started. If you get additional accessories though, I suggest staying away from the Oceanic skimmer for the 14-29 biocubes. In my experience, it wasn't worth the money and I've read experiences of others who have had the same problem. I wish you well in your new tank. Enjoy!

8. Click Here!

9. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

This hobby is so hard to get into with out making mistakes. I am new ( a little over a year). I purchased a 10g and went freshwater thinking it would be fun for me and my kids. 2 weeks later I got a 28g and then a month after that I had a 72g along with 28g. LOL By Christmas '08 I had a 29g BioCube Salt and then turned the 72g to marine. Now I have a 90g....
    I am just trying to say don't get to excited with out sitting down and figuring out what you would like and how big you would like to get someday. Maybe start with a small and then when you get hooked (you will) go for the next big jump. You will save some money that way!!

John