Starter Corals?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anthos312, Apr 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

i think it is very important for beginners to hear all these different viewpoints and i think that is why this forum is so successful. Everyone has a different way of doing things in this hobby and this is a great example of that.

I have had IMO a lot of success using supplements, but its only through researching and asking questions before buying them. I do not dose iodine because I don't want to risk using it; however for me strontium, calcium, and trace elements along with phyto feast have greatly improved my coral growth. I also do regular water changes, but when i did not use suppplements I didnt see the level of growth that I do now. I have had my tank for over two years now and just started using supplements 3-4 months ago. I am very happy with my results. But like i said before there will always be different ways of doing things. and no worries NeighborTomita I did not take it harsh at all I just think that it is important for everyone to be aware that we don't all do things in the same way and that is okay!! As far as supplements for fish... they saved some of my fishes lives on several occasion while battling ich.. but again just my opinion!! 8)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

ive never done a water change on my 46 gallon and Its solid with soft corals and a gorgorian purple whip they love it in there. I also have a linkia that is super healthy and they are a really touchy starfish.

4. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Anthos - where in Washington are you? I know of some local clubs that can help you get great stuff for your tank for super cheap! I am a member of PNWMAS Home Page, and I know there is a club in the Seattle area, don't remember the name of it now thought. Other local reefers were (and still are) invaluable when I was a newbie!

5. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

i am definitely not saying that you don't have to do water changes because i firmly believe in doing them, but as i said before everyone has some different way of doing things and if your livestock seems to be thriving then you must be doing something right.. maybe a massive skimmer? maybe you supplement your livestock? IMO water changes allow new fresh water with great trace elements to be added and the removal of waste matter but i still believe there are extra elements that can be added to make livestock healthier using supplements... but some people feel (i am not one, but do not knock them) that water changes are for people who are (quoted from someone i know) "lazy and overfeed and do not properly care for their tanks with a strong skimmer to remove waste matter and do not use supplements" definitely shocked when I heard, but this person has some awesome looking livestock... i am not saying you feel this way at all ingtar_shinowa but this person does and it is just another opinion that is a part of this hobby!

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

thanks for all the help everyone. Here are some pics of the corals. Mushroom, kenya tree, and anthelias in the sand to let them adjust to their new tank. If you could help identify what kind of mushroom it is that would be great! Tanks dirty (i know), i have yet to order my cleanup crew from reefcleaners.... waiting to get some more cash first.

I am located in seattle and either usually at UW or in West Seattle.

Attached Files:

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

looks good, I would advise to keep those corals as high up as possible due to your lack of light.. maybe on top of your highest rocks.. would help..

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

from what i understood its best to place them low in the tank for a few days after purchase to let them adjust to light levels, however i will likely move them towards the top of the rock tomorrow.

10. ingtar_shinowa

i like the tank. As for water changes and lazy overfeeders, I AM a minimalist when it come to the pooping livestock, so with a low bioload and lots of calcifying stock dosing is pretty much mandatory, and nutrient export is not so important. I'll probably re-eveluate the principles of water changes as I get more sps into my 55, as I will be also keeping a log and maybe taking pictures for semi-scientific experiment on reef keeping

11. ingtar_shinowa

I meant in a low bioload system there are not alot of excess nutrients to be exported. I should have written that better. Between my CUC and skimmer the two smallish fish's poo is not a strain on the system. If I had 6-7 fish in that tank, and fed them, then yeah I would need to do something about skyrocketing po4 and no3

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Eh, the circle of life isn't really there to export nutrients; it really just serves to bind the nutrients. ;D