Starter Corals?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anthos312, Apr 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

thats a steal. probly got $25-30 bucks worth of coral. all those will grow nicely with proper care. kenya tree's grow like weeds in my tank. anthelias grows good, Ive traded a couple of those for store credit. just break the rock in half.

2. Click Here!

3. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

Great deal! All good corals if you ask me, specialy if your tight on cash (like me) because they grow fast and are easy to frag... so you can trade them for store credit or with fellow reefers

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

yea im still iffy about my ****ty lighting and wat will survive but im hopin for the best!

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

with that little light, zoas you get better be cheapo brown zoas. If you spend a pretty penney on a pretty zoa morph chances are it will brown out since youe lighting isnt intense. And I'd listen about the waving hands lol

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

yea i know how much everyone hates the anthelias and waving hands but i still wanna give them a go :) I will monitor them closely, my tanks are in my room and i pretty much stare at them all day considering i have so much hw to do now days. I am excited to see what they kenya tree will do/turn out to look like and hopefully the mushrooms will propagate nicely. Yea my LFS also advised me that if i do get zoas they should likely be cheap brown ones.

7. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

im with you Anthos312! I think they are really pretty and with your lighting they might not even get too out of hand... but it is possible. Either way having them to trade in is a great way to get a little store credit!!

8. Click Here!

9. CoralQueen

and i apologize.. i meant that there are some leathers that beginners should not start out with because some of them require supplements to be fully healthy...

LiveAquaria.com:

Mushroom Finger Leather

-"For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine, strontium, and other trace elements to the water."

Young Blushing Finger Leather

-"It is an aggressive coral and needs space between itself and others in the reef aquarium. It is relatively hardy, and requires medium to high lighting and medium to strong water movement, along with the addition of iodine, strontium, and trace elements added to the water."

-"Care Level: Moderate"

and there are several other websites that say the same type of thing. I think they are corals that beginners should stay away from UNLESS they know about supplementing and are able to identify which ones do not need to be supplemented like the kenya tree!

i understand that those who experience these corals have found them to be very hardy, but these are just suggestions for beginners to consider...

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

IMO, that simply means do water changes...

1 person likes this.
  11. CoralQueen

and yes maybe that is the case but either way research should be done or questions should be asked by beginners before they start buying corals just like Anthos312 has done! I wish someone would have told me early on that supplementing was a good idea... for fish and corals!

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

no doubt, no doubt. good stuff.