Starter Corals?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anthos312, Apr 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

well considering anthelias is very cheap at my LFS, i can get like a lot of polyps for 5$, ill prolly start there (even though i may have problems down the road later, I would say it would be a good test coral to start with). Hm maybe i should make my situation clearer haha...... im a broke college student waiting for summer to start so i can begin to work and make some money, so buying any new equipment will have to wait for a few months....

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

good luck with it... Like I said, I throw away heaps of this stuff... If you were close, I'd give it to you... I can't imagine actually paying for this ;)

I got it free from another reefer (who didn't warn me)...

Anyway, it is pretty when it takes over... flows in the current real nice and all...

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Just keep in mind: any coral that you can get a lot of for $5 is going to grow super fast; that's the only reason it's $5 lol.

5. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

I'm with you on being broke man.... and I would recomend mushrooms, maybe some GSP, Zoas might do ok but id place them higher up in the tank...

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

yea wish i knew some close by reefers that could hook me up haha, but im just looking to get some easy, life in this tank and athelias seems to look quite nice in large groupings to me..

Yea im aware that some corals are cheap for a reason, but thats what i gotta do for now and im totally content with it haha. I am looking for just easy, simple and cheap to maintain considering how much ive already put into setting this tank up.
    Does anyone recommend any species of mushrooms, zoas, polyps, etc. that may fit my tank requirements better than just a general type of coral??

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

or is it simple enough to assume that most zoas/leathers/shrooms are capable of surviving with my lighting??

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

nah, in this case, those general types is all you need... as far as particular "species" or color morphs... in this category, they're all the same IME.

I personally like blueberry zoas and ricordia's in those categories.

Yellow Star Polyps might be a good choice for you

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

yes ;)

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

hm sounds great, i think i might go to my LFS and pickup a couple polyps of anthelias, and maybe some zoas or shrooms depending on how expensive things are... Whats the easiest way to secure zoas and shrooms to live rock? i dont have any superglue, only aquarium silicone and live rock epoxy. Thank you so much for all the help thus far everyone!!!

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well i just got back from the LFS and they are a bit understandable to my broke/low money situation. I got 1 small mushroom, a TINY kenya tree, and a few large polyps of anthelias to get started for $11. Ill post pics tomorrow when i get my camera. Hoping for the best!!!