Started Tank to early...NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by martygary, Feb 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. martygary

martygary Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i got rid of the cooliest fish ever [powder brown] that fish was cool!!! that hurt!!! but im tring to do this!! get rid of my yellow tang?? thats my favrite fish!! i love that fish!! how do you do that??

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Marty, you're trying and you care! thats step 1

Step 2, realize this, your LFS is in business! That means selling you stuff! if they were smart they'd tell you the truth so you would be loyal to one of them! They have steered you wrong, hence your ish outbreak and future ich outbreaks!

A uv sterilizer doesn't hurt, but it doesn't really help ich! It only kills what is sucked into it, and only a part of that! Ich lives in your sand, so the uv doesn't really help! What it does help is kill other bad guys so your fish is stronger! MaYBE!

If you insist on keeping the tangs, and you know the answer to that! Make sure you feed them a TON of seaweed! And treat it with garlic and selcon 2-3 times a week! Feed your other fish HIGH qualith frozen foods with the same treatment!

IMO, If you insist on keeping a tang keep the kole and get rid of the others! The angel is up to you to test if you want! But go drop another $100 on food and medicine, and then another $100 on a hospital tank!

Good luck!

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Hey, I have a yellow tang in a 55! It is a bad idea, and i almost lost him! I keep my stock low now, feed him well, and pray! IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! keep up on water changes, param's etc! Just know that you CAN NOT add more fish if you keep him or else you run the risk! And also know that when he gets full grown, he's prob gonna need to go to another home, or you'll need to upgrade!

Good luck, we all make mistakes, i made a very similar one! And i got called out on it too! Just keep reading, learning, and BUYING!lol! But you do need to get that hopsital tank ready! I keep an aquaclear running on my DT for just such a purpose!

Head high, we all make mistakes, just learn and do what you can to make it right!

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Actually i'd get rid of the damsel and maybe add another small peaceful fish or 2!

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Also Cosmo uses 680% too many exclamation marks.

2 people like this.
  7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol! I think tha!'s a !ouch h!gh bu! c!ose! I think its a bad habit, I always use those damn things! I am a very important person, I have many leatherbound books and my home smells of mahogany!

60% of the time it works everytime!;D

8. Click Here!

9. martygary

thanks cosmo! you are alot of help. so i geuess that ick is started from stress? so does that mean that im not making a healthy environnment for my fish? i suck! you say to treat with garlic. how do you do that? is it a product you buy from Lfs or just cooking garlic? how do you do it?

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Read that link i posted and especially the simple rules to avoid ich link in it. Should help ya out

11. martygary

i got rid of my flame angel and now my tank seems so much more stress free!!!! i took my two best fish back!! starting over.

1 person likes this.
  12. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

I want to congratulate you on doing the right thing. I know it is hard giving up your favorite fish. Perhaps you can save up and by a bigger tank then get those tangs. Good luck. +K