starfish in 29 gallon?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mkizla, Mar 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Could I get red sea starfish in a 29 gallon? I already got a random brisstle star in there that i saw once years ago, never bought it either.

So i was curious if i could add the red sea starfish? or maybe theres something else you can recommand?

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Asterinid Stars!!!!! Haha.

I would stay away from the Linckia and Sand sifting, they will most likely starve in a 29g..

Is this a FOWLER or a reef?

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This is the only star fish that I have been able to keep long term ( a year or greater), in an established tank with significant film algae growth for them to feed on.

Red Sea Star

I always left an area of the glass uncleaned for film algae to grow so they had a constant source of food.

6. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

so could i get that red sea starfish in biocube 29 reef tank?

7. Corailline

IMO you could keep one, after the tank has been established for 6 months or more, and has plenty of LR. Wish I could be more helpful, but I am not a huge fan of starfish in smaller tanks. Chocolate chips I have seen in bio-cubes do great but they are not reef safe. IMO the tank needs to be established to provide adequate food otherwise it is a slow starve over many months.

8. Click Here!

9. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

How could I feed it? Also my tank is pretty mature, its been set up 1 year and 8 months now

10. Corailline

Sounds good.

The link from liveaquaria says you can supplement their diet with small pieces of clam or flake food. Personally I have never tried clam, or animal protein. I have heard of people using types of algae waffers, that you can buy at the LFS and reporting that they do eat those.

11. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

clam? so I dont have clam yet, if I want to get maxima clam will the starfish eat it?

12. Corailline

No the small Red will not touch Tridacna. I never saw it near mine or the sand bed. I think they mean small pieces of raw clam you can get at some LFS or the local seafood counter. It needs to placed right next to the star fish, and you need to make sure the star fish starts to eat it, so you can remove any uneaten pieces from that tank so they do not contribute to a decline in water quality.