starfish ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by DSC reef, Dec 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My wife is a manager at petco and this starfish came in as a chocolate chip star. I'm thinkinga type of fromia. Any ideas out there? Que coralline now;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Definitely not a fromia, and doesn't look to be something that's reef-safe either.

Digging a bit deeper on this one...

(but for now, this is my go-to starting point for mystery stars: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/seastars.htm)

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it's so pretty! It would be great if it was reef safe but it seems most stars that are aren't always the hardiest or colorful :(

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I can't figure it out. My says it has tentacles on the top like a smal plate coral.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Evolved, Closest I got to is a fromia nordosa as far as pics go.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

According to that website, asterinas are bad and will eat spa and sps? I have a million of them in my aquarium and always thought they were beneficial! Now I'm a bit worried.

Sorry... didn't mean to highjack your thread, OP. Feel free to disregard this post. I'll research on my asterinas. As far as your pic... I don't know it. It definitely does not look quite chocolatly to me :)

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Magnus, Asterinae is described as a genus, not a single species. the genus contains some 26 species I wanna say. Of that, some will consume coral, others micro algae, some others coralline, and even more others will eat detritus or meaty foods. Some eat all listed.

As for the OP, I agree, not fromia, the tentacles you see may be tube feet extending up from the edges.