Star Polyps Tell Tales?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A quick way for me to assess my tank is to check out this one patch of star polyps I have. If they are out during the day, things are usually cool, if not, many times there is something wrong.

For example last night, after noticing they weren't out, I discovered that my tetratec filter was jammed and the water had drained back into the tank.

Maybe this is stating the obvious but I think it's kinda cool. Do you have a similar experience with stars or other corals?

2. Click Here!

3. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Yep. Star Polyps, and the fins on my fish are sure fire indications of water conditions.

Careful tho, shrimp, crabs, and snails that roam over your polyps might keep them shut, as well a fallen powerhead. I also have the situation where an anemone that is near my polyps keeps them shut by moving cm in there directions.

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

In my 30 gallon where there is no DSB for nitrate control I would watch my Torches and when they turned dark and drab I needed to vac the gravel and change a few gallons of water.

Jay