Standpipe gurgle, surge and flush

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gamertag, Oct 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gamertag

gamertag Astrea Snail

I am waging a war on noise out of my new 75gset up. First it was the pump (which may boil down to replacing it)

My new battle is with my standpipe. It's the aqueon version of the durso Aqueon » MegaFlow Accessory Kit for Overflow Aquariums | Products and it's giving a constant gurgle and will sometimes surge up an inch or so then flush out. It's quite loud.

Some searching lead me to trying to shorten the pipe in my sump so that it wasnt so far under water. 4 different heights had no effect. Oh and the feed coming off the bulkhead into the sump is a straight shot PVC with no 90* bends.

[​IMG]

Do i need a larger hole to allow more air in to even out the flow or is it better to restrict air going in. Sorry I'm a plumbing ignoramus.

Any help is appreciated!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The noise is quite normal. After a few days a slime coat will begin to form inside the pipe and it should quiet down and stop the slurping noises you are hearing and the flow should even out as well.

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Unfortunately this is the nature of dursos. That is why the herbie was created for internal overflows.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

5. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Can you throttle back your return pump? Sometimes this helps as the pump can push more water than the durso can handle causing the water level to rise until it flushes.

6. gamertag

gamertag Astrea Snail

I cannot. I am running an eheim 1260 which I'm not super happy with tbh. It runs kind if loud. I am looking at maybe swapping it out for the compact+ 3000 which would allow dial back (or up for that matter).

Unfortunately I need to get this dialed in to keep this set up. It's WAY too loud for a living room.

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Honestly, for a living room setup, I would ditch the durso. Do a herbie setup and pipe your return over the back of the tank. It will be quiet and stable.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. gamertag

gamertag Astrea Snail

Seems like there is a million ways to skin this cat. I often see people posting that their durso set up runs near silent.

I pulled the elbow/basket fitting off of the "T" and that leveled off the water in the overflow. So the surge and flush is gone. It's now just a constant gurgle.

10. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Mine did the exact same thing you are describing. I have a mag 9 return pump. As another posted, you have to much flow coming down the drain. Put a shut off valve on the return line after the pump and throttle the pump down. Problem fixed instantly, no harm to pump. Then as the slime builds up as others have stated you can let more flow into the tank. This is the only way with your current set up. Also if you are using flex tubing on the drain curl the pipe down ward like a twisty slide, will also quite the sump area.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I run a DIY durso in my 90. It's nearly dead quiet.

If you're getting a slurping sound that means you need to get more air into the drain because you are nearing or at full siphon. Try drilling one small hole at a time in the cap until the water level remains constant in the overflow chamber. Use a small bit like 1/16" and drill seperate holes around the big hole in the center until you get it tuned.

12. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

When I first setup my Aqueon overflow (the same one that you have displayed in your photos) on my 90 gallon it was quite loud and gurgled a lot. I filled inthe holes on the sides of the durso pipe shut with silicone so that the only opening is the tiny hole on the top and it is now dead silent.