Stand for skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by K3rack, Apr 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

Stupid question but would using eggcrate be good for a skimmer stand? I was building one out of leftover PVC pipping and weldon but after it cured it smelled bad and opted out of that - too many chemicals. I was also going to use a tupperware but that would look so tacky! So eggcrate popped in my head I can easily ziptie a few pieces to get the height.

What do you guys think?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is a good idea, I am planning the same for my upgrade.

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

If you are talking about an in-sump skimmer, I would just make sure detritus can't collect underneath it. You don't want to create a dead- zone where there is no flow, either.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

thats what I did for mine, I placed a couple pieces of live rock rubble under it figuring it will make a great benthic zone for truncates and sponges to grow in. it's probably got too much flow to be really effictive for that but it's just completely wasted space if I didn't try :)
    by the way, between the tank overflow and the skimmer discharge you wont have a dead spot there as long as the water can flow through it ( egg crate is great for that)

1 person likes this.
  6. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

If need be I can always rinse it I suppose. I was more worried about putting something harmful in there so eggcrate popped in my head.

7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I would think if it smelled bad then the pvc glue wasnt done drying. I have used both weld-on and pvc glue and when they are done drying and curing there was no oder. Also why glue it together if its just going to sit in the sump ? There wont be any water pressure inside so I dont think it would have to be glued.

8. Click Here!

9. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I let it cure for about 16 hours and it still smelled. I was using the pipping like linkin logs, cross weaving to make a stand tall enough - that required glue and a lot of it.

10. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

I used a short drinking glass turned upside down to elevate my skimmer. You can barely even see it

11. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Gotcha, couldnt you use the pipe and make 4 equal pieces to use for legs and then maybe drill a hole in the top edge of each leg and zip tie an eggcrate platform to the top. That way you would still get some flow underneath?

1 person likes this.
  12. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

That would've worked but I didn't think of it at the time!! haha oh well, I could use the extra eggcrate anyways. I'm not the handiest person in the world but i'm getting there :)