Stand capacity

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hoodoo, Oct 6, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

hi everyone,

I bought an oceanic 75 gallon tank system. (used) I gave up on the tank, because I don't trust the sealant anymore. So I ordered a new tank. It is supposed to be there tomorrow.

now I thaught about the size of the tank and realized that a 90 gallon tank is the same size, just higher. So it would fit on the stand just fine. Of course, the 90 gallon is gonna be heavier.
    http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products_furniture.html (I got the 75 gallon stand on this page)
    Does anybody know if they build all the stands in that size strong enough for a 90 gallon tank too?
    I'm considering to change my mind and get the 90 gallon instead.

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

4. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hoodoo,
    I don't believe the stand is reinforced anymore for the 90 gal vs the 75. You could e-mail Oceanic . Go for the 90 gal 8)
    Scott

5. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, that's what I wanna do ;)

I just talked to TA-Designs, he told me to put 2x4s in the corners. I looked and I could put 3 2x4s in. the 4th one I would use a 1x3 because the sump is in the way...

6. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Someone once told me that Allglass owned Oceanic. Has anyone else heard that? From the pics Hoodoo sent me, that 75 Gallon Pine stand looks Exactly like my 90 AG pine stand.

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes, they are the same company now.
    Jim

8. Click Here!

9. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

hm, I really don't know what to do. Do you think if I put the 2x4's in I'd be safe?

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Your sig says you ordered the 75? :huh:

Anyway you got me thinking and looking around I found this tidbit about pine:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2426/stands.html

For what it's worth.

matt

11. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, I did not order it by mail. I have a nice aquarium store here that has 75s and 90s in store normally. They just were out of the 75s last week. So I asked them to order one for me. I made a small downpayment, but I'm pretty sure they'll let me switch over.

Yvonne

12. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Hello Yvonne. I went through the same thing your going through now. I also had to re-enforce my stand. I used 2 x 4's in the corners and a few 1 x 4's around the outer edges for extra support. The 1 x 4's were more flush and saved my room for my sump. It took a little work, cutting the boards to the exact right height to wedge into the corners and all tightly.

The extra tank size should add, Im guessing, 150 or so lbs to your total. I would think the extra boards added to a quality stand would be fine.

Good Luck!!!

Scoffer