Stalling cycle help

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by jesmontb, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

no it isnt that confusing, i appreciate you taking the time to explain it. however i have already added one and only to it at the start of the cycle before i placed the ammonia in the tank, is it possible that the bacterias just died because i didnt have the ammonia in right away? to be honest i didnt know a lot at the time, and i didnt put ammonia in it for about a week after the one and only.

2. Click Here!

3. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

so my question for you is then this, if my units are so high, what was making them stall the first time when on the nitrites? they were reading 5.0 for a week, i did about 40% Water change, got them to around 2.0 and then they nitrify'd down to 0 within 24 hours

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

They do need a ammonia source, not immediately but I assume within hours. personally I make the salinity perfect, temp 80, add spira, add plenty of damsels. Also include libe rock!

5. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

it was dead rock with live sand and its custom scape so not realy wanting to add any more rock, maybe ill get some of that or one and only and add it in to help out some more?

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I cannot speak on that product, sorry!

7. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

i meant that type of product, like biospira like you said or the dr tims one and only, should i add more because it died before?

8. Click Here!

9. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

think im going to let the tank sit for a coupe days and see what happens, see if the nitrites go down or get stuck there, if by the 6th or so they havent gone down at all, ill go buy and add in some more "one and only" i guess then to help it out.

10. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

I just bought some more of your one and only product, should I add some more ammonia since my ammonia is 0 or will the nitrite be enough to keep the bacteria alive?

11. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

hey DevinH - no worries, I was kidding.

jesmontb - do not add more ammonia until the nitrite drops.
    Here's is what I suggest:

1) Add the One & Only

2) 24 hours later measure nitrite - if it has dropped or is zero add ammonia. I would add 1 drop per 2 gallons or so. if not repeat measure 48 hours later. Sometime can take 2 days to drop

3) 24 hours after adding the ammonia measure ammonia and nitrite and pH.

you should be good to go

12. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

I don't have a dropper for the ammonia, what ppm am i looking for with the dose after nitrite drops?