Stainless Steal vs. glass heaters

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by aseidman00, Nov 25, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Could very well be...I have one in my tank now and I haven't had any problems with it so far. It is very accurate and I know that Ebo has always had a good rep...who knows....you could be right Nautilus!!

2. Click Here!

3. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

Craig: Ever get that stanless steal heater ? Do you like it ?

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I'm in a circle of friends that includes the owner of a major etailer. When I asked him about the stainless & titanium heaters, he said, "don't get rid of your Ebo's, they're still the best on the market. We'e getting so many returns on the titaniums, we're going to discontinue selling them." He did mention that most problems were marine related, basicly none were freshwater.

I agree 100% with Naut, there had to other issues AND if it were the Ebo, its still his fault for NOT paying attention to a device to could kill his fish and hurt him. I check my all equipment weekly and every time I feed I make sure all the powerheads are working as well after having something fairly similair happen, BUT IT WAS MY FAULT. I had some rock work collapse due to an excess of rock I was holding at the time. A large boulder fell when I was rearranging it, crushed the heater (with my hand in the tank) and tripped the breaker (GFCI always!!!!). Now I use a pvc guard for the rock holding tank at my house. I also use a controller for my Ebo's now as I always use 2 heaters at least and Ebo's thermostats usually don't match other units to well. I've found the Medussa to be a great investment, although I could've gone with a Ranco Dual controller for 1/2 the price.

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

your not supposed to use the stainless steel heaters in saltwater, they make titanium heaters for this.  They do get hot and you dont need as many watts per gallon with them- about 2.5 watts per gallon.  Check out wonbrothers.com as they make both the steel and titanium heaters and have a chart about how many watts per gal you need with these heaters.  Stay away from the one's with the digital readouts as there are problems with them over heating your tank.  If you get one of these heaters I would recommend getting a digital thermometer with a tempurature alarm, they sell for about $30 at petwarehouse.com or thatfishplace.com.  I recently bought a 300 watt titanium heater for my 120 gal. If you want to go glass with a separate controller, AZOO makes the silica power glass heater with a plastic shield over the heater. It has a separate controller and temp probe. They come in 300 and 500 watts only. Can be found at petwarehouse.com

6. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

good info to have!!!! Thanks