Stainless Steal vs. glass heaters

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by aseidman00, Nov 25, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

They called and they are out of stock for some time, so I bought a 300 watt with out of tank controler from www.bigalsonline.com

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I have heard (i.e. just because it is on the internet, it doesn't mean it's true) that the more expensive digital ones have had some issues. I use a similar product made with titanium. The important thing to remember is that suction cups fail often on powerheads and on heaters. Secure that probe well in your tank so it can't come out. If they come out of the tank and your house is cooler than 79-80 degrees, the thermostat won't turn off on the heater and you can cook your tank.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

So the probe is not inside the heater? I thought it was a all in one type of deal.

5. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

from what I understand the temp probe IS INSIDE the tank ! its a second wire lead that you can position anywhere in the tank. No sure if closer to the heater is better or not. But is is a seperate probe.

6. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

The way my B/F has his set up is with the probe away from the heater itself. He has had his for approx. 6 months now and has had no problems with it. Very accurate! I am thinking of getting one for my reef. I have an EboJager now and have been hearing some scary things about them breaking and destroying whole tanks...... :eek:

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Wow what things have been said about EBO I have 3 of them...
    Thinking about the titanium heater myself with out side heat dial because of my recent happening with setting the ebo and getting blisters on my hands from it or the Frogspawn that is semi close to it.

8. Click Here!

9. seawillow

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

11. seawillow

You are very welcome ;)

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I still fine that an EBO broke or exploded as the one that did in his tank because if the own was on vacation so how did he actually know that the person taking care of the tank (not knowing what he/she was doing dropped something on it. He never stated where the heater was located and I would have to say seeing is believing and since he was not there he can only gives us thoughts on what actually happened.
    EBO is 3 times thicker than most heaters so even if something did hit it it should not have broken. Maybe some water hit the plug where this was getting power from and made it explode. Something had to have happened to make it explode, they just don't explode one day when your on vacation... and the thing worked for a year no problem.

I say after throwing thoughts out that this had to be a chain effect caused by another unit or circuit breaker, it has to be something else.
    If moisture was getting into the heater then it is the owners fault not the heater as we should check all equipment every month and you would see the moisture in the heater if properly checked. I feel for this guy but I 95% sure it was his own fault because of neglect.