Stag turning beige...problem?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by pallidamors, Dec 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

Im not sure what type of acropora it is, but it looks like some type of stag. The coral is green with blue tips. Recently an area of the coral that is directly facing my lights has turned beige. Is this an area where new growth is about to occur or is it a problem? THe rest of the coral looks perfectly happy.

Here's a pic of the area I mentioned. Sorry for the poor quality.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y442/neonreefs/40e635ef-e3ac-46eb-9f7e-c205a702d1e0.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. pallidamors

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Need a better pic. Too much glare. Cut the pump too.

New growth on acros are often white or a lighter shade of the coral. Could be bleaching too.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Hard to say exactly due to the pic. Browning typically means too many phosphates.

A better pic would help, and I'd highly recommend testing your water for alk, calc, and mag, phos, temp, salinity, pH.

Growth tips on a staghorn like yours are typically light blue or light green, and are near the tip. Not brown and on the branch of the coral. So its more than likely not growth, but an issue with the coral.

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Phosphate burn normally happens from the tips of the coral.... but weirder things have happened.

As for the photo, we really need a better one. I can't really make much out. Good luck.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I was leaning towards either a pest or a sting from another coral. I agree that it is not growth, and likely not water quality.

8. Click Here!

9. pallidamors

Ill try to take a better pic this evening. Weird thing is that on another part of the coral a similar color is showing new growth.