Stabilizing pH With Your Controller

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I agree. With my control, I can clearly see when there are too many "breathers" in the house producing excess C02 - like wen we have a gathering or a party. For instance, if we have people show up around 5pm, PH can go from 8.1 to as low as 7.9 (or lower) in a matter of an hour. So far I have not experienced any ill effects when it happens, but the first few times I observed it, it freaked me out.

In contrast, in the cooler months (sub 79 deg :-/) I can see it rise pretty quickly when I open a window.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Matt,

nice observation.

By nano, how a big a system are you talking about?

4. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Matt,

If it were me, I would not look into your water for the PH drop you see here. this is most likely caused by some sort of electrical interference. Notice that it rebounds quickly then comes back in line with a natural decline in the PH during dark hours in your tank. I have had this happen with mine before. It could have been a power spike at your home coinciding with the lights off event. you may see it more regularly at the same time.

I have been charting my PH for YEARS... long times. what I have found is that having my alk in the high 9's DKH tends to offer less undulation on a daily basis. I would show you a good graph but I messed up re-calibrating my PH probe last week and my Reeftronics graphs are off.

what you want to ensure is that you arent dipping below 7.80 at night as this can inhibit calcium carbonate uptake by the SPS corals. (Randy Holmes Farley)

Also, I noticed that when I added air from my crawlspace directly to my skimmer, my PH became much more stable.

where is your Alk currently?

msderganc and Billme like this.