Sps

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by starfish2217, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Also tank size and fixture type...or more specifically reflector type.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Its the current US Nova extreme or whatever with 6 36 inch T5 HO bulbs.. I have no doubt the lighting is fine. I just took a good look at it and it has little polyps on it, Its just in the sand so I should probably move it up closer to the light It kept falling because I never glued it down I will find a spot for it and glue him.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It should be fine under those lights in your tank.

Please list your alk, phosphate, ca, mg and nitrates numbers. How long do you keep the light on?

5. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I don't doubt that 6 T5's are good enough, but I was more interested in the actual brand of the bulbs and how old they are. If I remember correctly this tank was bought used, so I'm assuming the light fixture was part of the package, which means at the very least the bulbs aren't new, possibly old. Also, maybe the previous owner skimped and bought some cheap bulbs? It's just something I would look at.

When frags gets knocked down into the sand they get mad you. lol. Superglue GEL (not the regular stuff) is my BFF.

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Marine two part epoxy is good two. It just takes a while to dry...at least mine does. If looking for new bulbs would definitely look into ati and geisman or how ever its spelled.

7. starfish2217

DKH is at 10,
    calcium is 480
    I don't have a test for magnesium yet
    Nitrates, nitrites and phosphates are all 0
    PH 8.1

Lights are on about 8-10 hours every day

Yea they did come with the tank, I think they are coralife bulbs, I checked them out when I bought them just around the edges they didn't look dark at all I know when mine get old they start looking weird around the edges, the guy didn't tell me how old they were but hey sure are bright I have no doubt they are okay, everything else is just thriving. I plan to replace them in a few months regardless.

I have super glue I just have issues picking a spot! lol...

8. Click Here!

9. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

You can find these Marineland timers for like $10 at pretty much any pet store and they make things so much easier. I have the lighting for my DT and sump both setup on these timers and worrying about turning on and off my lights is a thing of the past. Every little thing that you can automate makes this hobby that much easier.

10. starfish2217

I have a timer lol.. I just have two tanks running right now and I haven't set up my other power strip so other things from other tank are plugged into the timer that need to be running all the time. When schools starts up I will sort all of it out, right now its not much of an issue because for the most part I am home to turn them off and off when needed. But thats awesome Im glad yo showed me that link cuz i need a new timer for my sump light to run on the oposite I will totally check that out!

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Moving the frag up higher will help, as will leaving lights on for a bit longer-- perhaps around 12 hours.

Coralife is one of the cheapest T5 bulbs you can get. I'm not sure exactly which Kelvin scale they use (sarcasm- there's only one), but I have seen the difference in the color between their 14000K bulb and one from Geismann.

Keep in mind that a bulb will last much, much longer than it's color spectrum. They need to be replaced every 12 months regardless of their brightness, or whether or not they "look old".

Hope this helps. :)

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Old bulbs will also tend to cause more nuisance algae. Definitely gotta agree though not the best bulbs. I had good luck with ordering from reefgeek. Or maybe your lfs has Ati bulbs I know mine started carrying em or even ice cap bulbs. Just make sure you aren't buying ones with internal reflectors.